• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw in outdoor aviary

Diveks

Walking the driveway
I have a 1,5x3 (5 feet x 9 feet) outdoor cage for my macaw, it is protected from drafts from every side of it, and has a roof. I have toys and different perches in it (well had, since she destroyed almost all of the toys in there, currently ordering new toys) im wondering if its ok to keep her outside when she is not out of the cage. The cage is also not isolated from the house, it sticks to the house. She loves being there more than being in an indoor cage. I have had her for a long time, though ive just joined this forum and i wanted to get everyones opinion. People here tell me its fine, but where im from people keep parrots/birds chained or in tiny cages, and think seed only diet is ok for them, so im not sure if that qualifies. I also have to mention that i live in somewhere tropical (68-80)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Outdoor aviaries can be great for birds if they are full of enrichment and you live in a safe area. I don't know if you have any predators in your area (anything from birds of prey to snakes or rats) or not, but something to take into consideration if you haven't already and also people...

My ideal home would include an addition onto the house that allowed for an indoor/outdoor area for the birds! They could be inside with temperature control or have an outdoor area where they could get sunlight! But that's just a dream right now...

Reactions: tka

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Outdoor aviaries can be great for birds if they are full of enrichment and you live in a safe area. I don't know if you have any predators in your area (anything from birds of prey to snakes or rats) or not, but something to take into consideration if you haven't already and also people...

My ideal home would include an addition onto the house that allowed for an indoor/outdoor area for the birds! They could be inside with temperature control or have an outdoor area where they could get sunlight! But that's just a dream right now...
The bottom of the aviary is concrete and it is made from predator proof mesh. My house does not have a heater or anything, just an ac. So most of the time the temp is not that far off. But i will do whatever is great for her