• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw has green face and beard feathers (PIC)

bluegold

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello everyone.

First time poster here on this forum.

I got a lovely B&G macaw which is turning 1yo in just over a months time!

In the sun the face and beard feathers are having a green tint through them. Is this normal? Does anyone else macaw get it?

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Welcome. I do not have a macaw, but my green cheeks have a bit of blue around their necks that shows in the sun. Maybe someone will be along soon that can better answer about macaws.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Makes me wonder if somewhere in the past there was hybridization with a Buffons due to the lighter green and then back with the B&G's. That is the problem with hybrids, you have then contaminated a gene pool which you can never recover from and you never know when it may pop up it's head.

Unless you breed, it won't matter, just love you little bundle of feathers regardless.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It is pretty common to see green in the black feathers on a BG. Especially when they are younger. Probably a year or two of molting and most of it will be gone. Some do keep some brilliant green in the throat area but mine didn't. :D

bluegold

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Welcome. I do not have a macaw, but my green cheeks have a bit of blue around their necks that shows in the sun. Maybe someone will be along soon that can better answer about macaws.
Thanks for the welcome. And yeah from the comment below ive figured its just random !

Makes me wonder if somewhere in the past there was hybridization with a Buffons due to the lighter green and then back with the B&G's. That is the problem with hybrids, you have then contaminated a gene pool which you can never recover from and you never know when it may pop up it's head.

Unless you breed, it won't matter, just love you little bundle of feathers regardless.
haha I dont plan on breeding this one ! but it is interesting to consider how breeding hybrids might pop out with a long hidden recessive gene!

It is pretty common to see green in the black feathers on a BG. Especially when they are younger. Probably a year or two of molting and most of it will be gone. Some do keep some brilliant green in the throat area but mine didn't. :D
I see !! I hope it stays green to be honest :)

Blue & Spud

Walking the driveway
Real Name
amanda
It's a gorgeous colour, I'd be bummed if it moulted out lol

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I see !! I hope it stays green to be honest :)

I had hoped my guy to keep the green too. He had it up until about two years old. Both my male and female are black as black can get. You will love your guy either way.

Do we get some better pictures of your cutie?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Green can definitely happen sometimes. A friend of mine had one that had a black throat but his eye stripes stayed a rich dark but noticeable green! Fun if yours stays. I love the yellow highlights of baby scarlets but sadly they too fade to red most of the time.
Lovely baby!
:hello1:

:welave:

bluegold

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
It's a gorgeous colour, I'd be bummed if it moulted out lol
I totally agree ! I am legitimately hoping it stays green or even becomes full green :D

I had hoped my guy to keep the green too. He had it up until about two years old. Both my male and female are black as black can get. You will love your guy either way.

Do we get some better pictures of your cutie?
Mine is turning 1yo at the end of next month. I am hoping it stays green guess the only thing I can do is keep my fingers crossed and give her lots of celery hahaha :)

And here you go :

Welcome to the forum!
Thank you for the welcome !

Green can definitely happen sometimes. A friend of mine had one that had a black throat but his eye stripes stayed a rich dark but noticeable green! Fun if yours stays. I love the yellow highlights of baby scarlets but sadly they too fade to red most of the time.
Lovely baby!
:hello1:

:welave:
It would be fun if it stays ! Thanks for the welcome :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome to you and your beautiful Macaw.

carinlynchin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carine
i personally like it. I wish mine had those...they are just black :) but he's still adorable ...haha.... but those are pretty feathers :)

bluegold

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do you have an update as to Wether the feathers stayed green?
I have a 1yo girl with nice green feathers, hoping they stick!
This member has not posted in more than five years, so it is doubtful that you will receive a response.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Do you have an update as to Wether the feathers stayed green?
I have a 1yo girl with nice green feathers, hoping they stick!
Cutie! Post a new thread about that sweetie! They will most likely stay that way. It's not common for macaws to have baby feathers/coloring.