• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw doesn't preen tail feathers

Status
Not open for further replies.

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
Summer's a lazy preener.

She is getting a new tail feather now and as soon as I start preening it she gives me this look like "FINALLY MOM!!!!!" and sticks her butt in my face.
Too funny! Boy do they have us trained!
Anytime I try to help Monster, she screams and tries to run away, convinced I'm taking her whole tail off.

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
The only tail feather preening with large macaws, that I have seen, has been via allopreening from another macaw.

Attachments

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only tail feather preening with large macaws, that I have seen, has been via allopreening from another macaw.
That makes sense, Steve. Great pic, too! There are some feathers on that tail that they do have trouble reaching. Of course, some they can reach--Elvis preens the sheath off as it grows in on some of the tail feathers, but with others, she just lets it go. It's the bigger ones that she seems to have the most trouble with.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Steve I have a couple of birds do that also
Gus, B&G, doesn't preen his tail feathers and he is the ONLY one of my macaws who doesn't...He HATES to have them touched...I really think he was mistreated over the years by a man...or right after the man's wife died...he has been with me almost two years now and I'm finally able to get them preened with out his panicing...You would NOT believe the dried blood inside the sheath I found when I first started to preen them a couple of months after he came to me...I was really shocked!:hug8:

Jacqi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jacqi
Haven't come across the issue of a new tail feather w/ Tiki, but all other pins, including those on her face, she sits happily, quietly for removal. :)

Still doesn't like the full bath. Nope, nope, nope. & I'm beginning to think she only likes spraying so she can try to drink from the nozzle. She runs from the spray, but then runs back towards it at an angle to try to get a drink WITHOUT getting her whole body wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.