• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Cage

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@aooratrix and @Shezbug do you know if the doors on your corner cages can be hung the other way? Hinges on the left, latch on the right?

And how wide do the doors open? Do they open up to lay flush with the cage wall or do they stick out?

Despite the concerns with the corner cages, I am considering one because Buzzard's cage is in a corner right now & I have to pull his cage away from the wall whenever I need to access the bowl doors on the far side of the cage.
Mine can't be hung the other way, and it will not open flush with the cage wall. Truly, I hate this cage. It is SO hard to clean and only had one layer of powdercoat.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I agree with @Shezbug on the room: Annie has plenty of room, much more than a traditional cage. However, as mentioned, it is hard to clean, the double pans suck, and you almost have to climb in the cage to hang toys or perches.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have an AE (Animal Environments ) Macaw stainless steel cage. I've had it for 21 years and it's still good as new except for the pucky flimsy plastic tray and the wheels finally wore out. Not bad for two GWs living in it for 13 years and one for 20 years.

They are super duper pricey, but last forever.

They also have the Luxor now that they didn't have when I bought mine.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I have an AE (Animal Environments ) Macaw stainless steel cage. I've had it for 21 years and it's still good as new except for the pucky flimsy plastic tray and the wheels finally wore out. Not bad for two GWs living in it for 13 years and one for 20 years.

Those are gorgeous! Maybe one day!! :yes3:

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I don’t know about big bird cages, but I find a and e is best for the little guys.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I agree with @Shezbug on the room: Annie has plenty of room, much more than a traditional cage. However, as mentioned, it is hard to clean, the double pans suck, and you almost have to climb in the cage to hang toys or perches.
Almost?? I do! I have no choice being short lol. Burt has locked me in there more than once while I’m cleaning and hanging toys :laugh:

Aves

Almost?? I do! I have no choice being short lol. Burt has locked me in there more than once while I’m cleaning and hanging toys :laugh:
How did you get out?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

They look quite similar to the featherland brand that is available here.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I had an (used) A&E 30x40 for Sam's first cage, I had the A&E Corner cage for his second cage and now I have a 36x48 Stainless Steel Kings European style cage. The worst thing about the A&E cages was the thin power coating. The corner cage was great for how much room he had and I put towels down over the floor (because he had falling issues) of the cage so cleaning wasn't so bad but hanging toys and perches was always a hassle. The worst part of it was how Sam stripped parts of the paint off and would chew on it. I had to get a SS cage and was lucky to find one on Craigslist.

One nice thing about the corner was the ceiling space that we got from the flat roof was great. It really depends on the bird. I wouldn't get another powder coated cage again for him. The powder coat works fine for my conure (HQ I think) but those big beaks make short work of powder coats.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I am so thankful that Buzz is such an easy going guy! I'd love to score a stainless someday though. :dreamyeyes:

Guava123

Walking the driveway
Corner's Limited has aviaries, but you'd need to shell out a thousand bucks at least.