• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Cage

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
I want to replace my blue & gold's cage (and maybe my Hahn's if the price is right). I'm looking for one that's sturdy, and provides relatively easy access for hanging toys. From what I've seen online I like corner cages, but since I've never owned one I would be interested to know if they actually save space, etc.. I'm all for saving money, so I am more than willing to wait if anyone knows of a future sale.
Let me know if you disagree, but this is what I gather about the bird cage manufacturers I know exist:
A&E - durable but pricey
Avian Adventures - ?
HQ - slightly flimsy build
King's - comparable to A&E
Prevue Hendryx - poor quality
Please comment with recommended cage make/model. Links are helpful.

Current cages:
Blue and Gold Macaw: King's 9004030
Hahn's Macaw: King's 8003223

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have a look at this to help you decide on appropriate sizes: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages
A cage should be at least 1.5x the bird's wingspan to allow them to stretch.

Personally I hate corner cages - they effectively cut the space in half. They save space for the human, but birds need space to move around, play, stretch...saving space is not in their interests.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I also dislike corner cages, IMO they are a pain to clean, I don't like the split bottom pans either.

How destructive is your bird? The best advice I have is durability. What strength bars, are the welds solid.

My macaw is breaking the welds on my old California King's cage with glee.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have A&E, HQ, Kings and Centurion. They are all the same build quality IMO.

My hy was breaking welds on his ( A&E or HQ ... not sure which is which ) I moved him to a walk in aviary and so far he has not touched the welds. Broke the spin feeder but not the welds.

BirdLady13

Have a look at this to help you decide on appropriate sizes: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages
A cage should be at least 1.5x the bird's wingspan to allow them to stretch.

Personally I hate corner cages - they effectively cut the space in half. They save space for the human, but birds need space to move around, play, stretch...saving space is not in their interests.
I want to provide him with an upgrade; I have no intention on downsizing his cage.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt seriously loves his corner cage which he honestly seems to have just as much room in (if not more?) as he has in his double macaw cage but I am trying to convince him that the double cage is better. The corner cage is extremely difficult for me or anyone else here to hang things in (unless they are right near the door area), put perches where I want them (unless I have another person outside the cage to help) and most importantly it is a real serious pain to clean so I have to pull the bottom split trays and grates out and climb in there to clean it properly which is honestly not much fun for me and because the trays are split they do not catch everything if you do not place the paper right. Burt loves cage cleaning day because I actually have to climb in there to reach all the spots that need wiping over, he thinks it is the best fun to chase the cleaning cloth around and he really likes to close the door and the lock while I am in the cage so I always make sure to have my phone in my pocket in case I can not open it from inside and I get stuck in there :D As the corner cage is so big I do not think it really saves space in any room it is in. The double macaw cage seems to fit much nicer in most places. I am working on the change over as his corner cage is honestly a pain to clean and access, I do not think you will get a corner cage big enough for a B&G that is also easy to access for hanging perches toys- it is a long stretch to that back corner.

The double macaw cage I have is so much easier to access and clean and the welds are much better than the welds on our corner cage which seem to be really easy for Burt to break. If I had the space then I would love a walk in aviary for inside as it would be so much easier to decorate and keep clean.

I am not familiar with the brands and cages you mentioned as we do not have them available here so I can not help with any of that, the shape and depth of the corner cage really is a problem for me to keep clean easily and even my adult son can not easily reach the further corner roof area of the cage to hang things- he can only reach the center roof area of the cage.

Jisoo

if you have the space maybe an aviary? aviaires are a lot more expensive but provide your bird with a lot more exercise and are better if you have the space and money

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
AE cages don't have as thick a powdercoating as some of the others on this list. I have ONE AE cage and will never have another.

BirdLady13

if you have the space maybe an aviary? aviaires are a lot more expensive but provide your bird with a lot more exercise and are better if you have the space and money
I've been wrestling with the idea of setting up an outdoor aviary in addition to regular cages, or getting a stainless steel cage that can potentially be placed outside during suitable weather. However, as you said they are incredibly expensive.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@aooratrix and @Shezbug do you know if the doors on your corner cages can be hung the other way? Hinges on the left, latch on the right?

And how wide do the doors open? Do they open up to lay flush with the cage wall or do they stick out?

Despite the concerns with the corner cages, I am considering one because Buzzard's cage is in a corner right now & I have to pull his cage away from the wall whenever I need to access the bowl doors on the far side of the cage.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My corner cage wont be the same quality as you get over there as mine is a no name brand knock off or copy of a decent cage- all the cages here are :( There was not any choice for which way the main door opened on my particular cage but the better quality and better name ones might have that as an option.

Are you meaning the feed doors when you ask about them being flush or the main door? I can get some pics in a little while for you if you like.

If I was more agile I do not think it would bother me so much having to pull trays and grates out and climb in to clean the far corner. Burt really loves that cage, I almost feel mean knowing he is gonna have no choice soon but to move into the other cage.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I mean the front door. We normally leave it standing open so Buzz can climb in and out as he chooses, but I'd rather not have it sticking out in the middle of the room where we'd have to walk around it.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ill get you a pic really soon!