• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Macaw- Bound egg after 17 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Expect to bring Littlebird home on Monday if the white blood cell count is OK. Lucky bird, her pal B&G, will be relieved as Lucky is so used to following Littlebird (or should I say bossed) she can't figure ou how to come down from the second story . I have to go get her thru a window with a stick; she could be the world's stupidest macaw.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Still sending prayers for Littlebird, but that is so funny about Lucky. It has oviously become such a habit that she just can't quite get it on her own. Soo funny this guys are.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
sending prays and hugs:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
I never thought I'd write this about LIttlebird but I miss her quite a bit. I realize she is responsible for the noise level here. It's been much too quiet. She is the one who says Hello to greet us by name when we drive up or answer the phone. She also is the look out bird so for any hawk, boat in the canal, squirrel, racoon , airplane, meter reader, etc she will announce hawk, boat ( anything that is above is a hawk like airplanes, anything in the canal is a boat). She also hs the loudest macaw warning shriek which comes after she says hawk or boat.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
I can't believe she can say hawk or boat and recognize these things. I know that sounds dumb of me, but I am just always amazed at how smart they are. Can't wait to hear she is home and feeling better again.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
When the wild blue and gold flock landed in the palms near her, Littlebird shrieked the macaw greeting , then said, clear as a bell (I'm not making this up) Hello, pretty bird. I know my birds use language appropriately. If one is losing in a tussle, she'll say "no bite', no bite. Another example, we have no see ums, aka gnats,midgies, galore because of the mangrove accross the street. If I leave them out and they are getting bitten ,they call my name, Daria, Daria, Bugs, Bugs, and add Oh! Oh! bugs. Guess they copied my reaction and associated the two. What is even more remarkable, Littlebird used to call our Doberman (before he died of old age) and say squirrel or boat or hawk (whatever was in her sight) and he would come charging out barking.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
That is just amazing. So far the only thing Jack my B&G says is "rello", that is hello with an "r". lol. He says it with different tones and meanings, but I will take it. Jack might be getting a friend this fall, so I will need your advice on adding a big friend..lol. Can't wait to hear about Littlebird's homecoming.

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Poor Littlebird. I can't wait to read about her coming home again. Poor Lucky. She must be the blonde of your bird flock? Hopefully she will get the hang of coming down soon so that you don't have to keep getting her with a stick. It never fails to amaze me how smart birds are. It sounds like your Littlebird is very intelligent indeed.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Thanks Anna, Tracie - How old is Jack? I think relatively young birds want companionship. I am surprised my hybrid , Buddy, is so anti social. I even tried letting her stay with a friend's greenwing when I was on vacation and I was prepared to give her to my friend if it worked out. Buddy was as stand off ish as ever even though my friends bird wanted Buddy to be her pal. Buddy is at around 15-20.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Daria, Jack is about 10 months old. He wants to be friends with the other two, but Zoe the CAG is a diva and Luca my YNA and him have just too much of a size difference. I think we will be getting a Catalina or Greenwing friend for him. He was raised around many macaws and when he came here at 5 months I think he really missed his macaw friends. He shared a cage and playpen with them and I think he needs a brother or sister his own size. The advantage is I will be getting the baby from the same woman I got Jack from so Jack can meet the baby and they can get to know each other before the baby comes home. Do all of yours get along? Do they have little squabble, or do some of them not like each other?

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Highly recommend a greenwing as they are extremely mellow. Do consider that if you get a female, in a few years they might want to be more than friends. It's interesting that you asked about them "getting along". Two months ago I would have replied yes . This year, maybe because of the unusual cold spell in Miami, my dominant B&G and my hybrid got into a nest building competion in the bottom of the aviary, complete with some nasty battles over territory. The outcome was that bound egg. I think another bird is an excellent idea and your concept of introducing them is great. Macaws need a companion; that is how nature wired them. One of the wild macaws hasn't been successful attracting a mate so he still flys around with his mother . Of the 24 in the wild flock , not one is a single although there are some threes.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Littlebird update- Friday's white blood count was 16,000- not bad considering it had gone as high as 45,000. Will bring her home late Mon. as the vet feels it will drop down to normal by then (10,000). The vet said she is a great bird, talking up a storm and they have been letting her perch on a stand behind the receptionist. Goes to show you Littlebird's personality. She chooses which side of her personality to show depending upon the circumstances. Guess she knows she can be Dr. Jekel with me.

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Daria, your observations of the wild flock are very interesting. With regard to the threes that you see hanging together, do you have any idea of their genders?

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
One of the threes is still a juvenile. I call this group the Fairchild trio as they roost over in the biotanical gardens near us. I think Scruffy, Fuzzy's mom is related to this group as they sometimes fly &/or hang out together. Judging by her feet , beak, and eye color she could even be their grandmother. I also think this juvenile is Scruffy's best chance for finding a lady love. He has been making overtures but the parents put a stop to it as she is too young. The other trio is interesting as they are always together- no idea of gender. It could be the lack of nest cavities makes paring up difficult so maybe the third is simply an offspring that never left mom & dad . Last week two macaws got into such a fight at the feeder , the winner drove the other to the ground- fortunately no one was hurt and they flew off with the flock 15 minutes later.

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
So happy to hear Littlebird is improving

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Go Little Bird... keep up the good work!!!!!!!

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Littlebird is home! Picked her up after the last antiobiotic shot. Interesting, Lucky bird acted like she never left and she is now friends forever. All is well. Thanks for all your help and support. Thanks for caring too.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Littlebird is home! Picked her up after the last antiobiotic shot. Interesting, Lucky bird acted like she never left and she is now friends forever. All is well. Thanks for all your help and support. Thanks for caring too.
:dance4::dance4::dance4: that is GREAT news!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.