• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Macaw- Bound egg after 17 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
I've had Littlebird for 17 years and she never has laid an egg. This year there was more brooding/hormonal behavior among 3 of my 5 large macaws- Littlebird & Lucky bird were busy shredding paper and getting into skirmishes with Buddy who was building her own shredded paper nest . I have an 8 X 14 ' indoor aviary so that was an awful lot of paper. Sat. I noticed Littlebird straining and vommitting so I immediately took her to an excellent avian vet who extracted the egg. Her WBC was sky high so she was put on Cipro too. He delayed discharge until 4:00 PM today because she was vommitting early in the morning but by the afternoon she was pooping and the vommitting stopped. I have her home now and am dismayed by her appearance and behavior. She is sitting all by herself with ruffled feathers and her head tucked. She did eat and poop ( a small amount and not as formed as usual). What I'm worried about is Lucky bird, her pal of 15 years. Usually they are inseparable, but Lucky bird is pecking her and doesn't want to sit next to her. I know in the wild this signifies a sick bird the flock ostrasizes so not to attrack predators. Also , are there any tricks to giving Cipro by syringe- I wan't too successful getting it down her. She seemed to know what was coming and didn't cooperate . it went all over the place.

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
As a medical professional I would say that perhaps you can add something thick that is sweet to encourage her not to fight the dropper. Have you tasted the medicine to see how it tastes. I know that little kids like the taste of children's Motrin, so if the Avian Vet approves, perhaps you can mix a little in there to thicken it up and improve the taste. Hope this helps. Sorry to hear about her predicament. She is fortunate to be in your home. Can you imagine if she were one of the wild ones without any medical recourse? Let me know if my suggestion was a consideration. Just curious if it will work and the doctor approves. Not try "poly- pharmacy" but sometimes we have to get creative.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Yikes! I am not familiar with handling big birds to orally dose her so hopefully someone else can advise there. My only thought would be if she would eat something from a spoon the meds can be added to that.

Did the vet say why the Cipro? Cipro is the human version of Baytril. Does he suspect an infection inside such as peritonitis?

If her bird friend is being testy with her, this will add further stress, so you might consider separating them while you are treating her. She might be better off in a hospital cage with added heat.

Hopefully others familair with macaws can add input.

Last edited:

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Worried beyond belief

Sat. I noticed Littlebird straining and vomitting so I immediately took her to a great avian vet as I suspected a bound egg even though this hasn't happened in 17 years. I thought everything was going to be OK ( except my bank account) ,after the vet extracted the egg and gave antibiotics. The vet delayed discharge because she was vommitting but by 4 she seemed to be doing better. Quite truthfully, I'm worried sick. She is sitting by herself all ruffled with her head tucked ,shunned by her pal of 15 years, Luck bird. I also couldn't get the Cipro down her too.Anybody had experience with getting antibiotics down without towelling ( My daughter the vet won't towell this bird) ? Am I over reacting as she has been thru quite an ordeal? When do I panic? She did eat and did poop but I expected her to act more normal.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
Re: Worried beyond belief

I would get her back to the vet tomorrow morning if no change. Can you remove her to a more secluded area so she can rest quietly?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I would TOTALLY seperate them for the time being....she needs to be kept quiet and calm...without other birds around her....until she goes through this...JMHO
As for the meds, will she take peanut butter on bread? mix the meds with the Peanut butter and make a big deal out of feeding her....
I also agree on keeping her warm during this time....
I would take out any paper/dark areas to break this cycle...:hug8:

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein

Now Buddy just attacked her and Lucky bird just watched (usually they're a team against Buddy.) The vet wanted her home as he feel birds do better with familar surroundings but she is being terrorized by her flock mates. Tonight I'll get an old cage from the garage and put her in it so I can go to sleep myself knowing she'll be OK. Maybe I'll put the cage in the bottom of the aviary.

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
Oh, I'm sorry that this happened. :( I hope everything works out for the best. :hug2:

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Daria I am going to move your thread to 911 for more exposure. :hug8:

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Thanks for all your suggestions and support. I'm going to get an old small cage from the garage and put it in the aviary. I won't sleep either unless I know she is safe from her former friends. Next , I'll try various concotions to see if she'll take it- although it does taste very bitter. I'm just scared as she is acting really sick. Forget towelling- My daughter the vet won't handle this bird- she is normally vicious and very smart. When she is sick, she is more tolerant- behaved herself with me and the vet.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OH no, I hope she will be ok...my little parrotlet should be passing an egg, but hasn't yet...I am worried too. Might make a trip to the vet if it doesn't pass by tomorrow....

I think a separate cage for yours now would be wise. :hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Maybe I'll put the cage in the bottom of the aviary.
--------------------------------------

I wouls strongly suggest that it is away from the other birds for now, and right now she has to stay calm with no sources of stress from the others, or even seeing them loose while she would be caged in the flight. And also some warmth. if you have a Vita or full-spectrum lighting that might help her emotionally and also to absorb into the skin for D3 sources to help utilize calcium in the body. There is a chance that there is another egg forming inside of her, so she needs to be kept calm and carefully monitored.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Maybe I'll put the cage in the bottom of the aviary.
--------------------------------------

I wouls strongly suggest that it is away from the other birds for now, and right now she has to stay calm with no sources of stress from the others, or even seeing them loose while she would be caged in the flight. And also some warmth. if you have a Vita or full-spectrum lighting that might help her emotionally and also to absorb into the skin for D3 sources to help utilize calcium in the body. There is a chance that there is another egg forming inside of her, so she needs to be kept calm and carefully monitored.
So TOTALLY agree!:hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ive been through this...its not easy.I agree, I would move her away from the others, Extra calcium will help too. As for medicating, make sure you get that syringe way past the back of her mouth, someone can hold her and you can gently pull her neck up so the syringe gets there more easily. If theres no one to hold her you can towel her and put her between your knees. Tricky but Ive done it with hawks at the wildlife center when I was alone there. She will feel bad for a few days, just make sure she eats and drinks, Give her a favorite warmed soft food, lots of love and cuddles to her....and you too. Good luck and keep us updated.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
With our BG we have used various methods:
Get it flavored
Put it in a little peanut butter and/or jam sandwich
Do you have those baby cookies? Break one in half and put the med in the broken end so it is absorbed
Can you sit her on the counter and just put a little in at a time? (that is how we do it now)

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
Daria, I'm so sorry. I hope she's better in the morning. :hug8:

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
Daria I agree that I would not have her in the aviary at all until she has completely recovered. I hope you find a successful was to administer the medication.

Poor thing, I sure hope she is feeling better soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.