• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw beak irritation?

FeelsLikeHome

Moving in
Real Name
Madi
I brought home my blue and gold macaw today, everything going fine he's settling in nicely. Just recently maybe a good 15-20 mins ago he started showing signs of irritation in his beak, his foot itching there, crunching sounds whenever he moved the beak and he would use his wings to tap his sides. He will rub his beak (bottom mostly it seems) against the bars of his cage, his perches and his food bowl. He seems genuinely irritated by it and it is casing my family to panic, he has since been able to relax and close his eyes but that didn't last as he seemingly got hyper and climbed to the roof of his cage. Any info or advice will be helpful, thanks.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You will need to take a close look at his beak to see if it has been injured. Let us know what you find.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Did you get a vet check before you brought him home? If not, I'd get one ASAP!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
First, this a new home for him, likely he is restless and allowed to be. Second, the crunching... is he beak grinding? Google macaw beak grinding and see. :)

My BG's are very mouthy. Always beaking around with something and doing goofy things. Can you get a video for us?

FeelsLikeHome

Moving in
Real Name
Madi
First, this a new home for him, likely he is restless and allowed to be. Second, the crunching... is he beak grinding? Google macaw beak grinding and see. :)

My BG's are very mouthy. Always beaking around with something and doing goofy things. Can you get a video for us?
yeah, that's exactly it. I feel so silly for worrying so much. Thank you all so much.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome :) How old is your bird?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
yeah, that's exactly it. I feel so silly for worrying so much. Thank you all so much.

Always ask questions and never feel silly Madi. If you have never owned a parrot they do lots of weird things and it will be stressful until you understand them all. Heck, it's stressful when you do understand them. :D Beak grinding is usually when they settle down for the evening. Since your guy is in a new home he may need extra time to settle down, or he may try to settle down a few times. Just take things slow with him. Macaws can take months to feel comfortable in a new home.