• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw and the floor

Tempted2Touch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Im not sure if anyone has experience this but when I go visit my B&G at Golden Cockatoo I typically hold him while sitting and he loves it, but sometimes he either ends up jumping off or slips off me and ends up on the ground. Now he doesn't hurt himself I've very gentle but it seems as though he doesn't like the floor, as if he doesn't like IT touching him. He puts one foot up and refuses to move. His wings are spread and he just sits there staring at me like pick me up! Is this a bad thing? A natural thing? Should I give him time to walk on the floor and get use to it? He is a week shy of being 4 months old.

Tempted2Touch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
That makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was just a natural behavior or not. Thank you for clearing that up!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Your baby may also in time decide he does like it! Many birds change what they think when they're babies.

He may be frightened right now, but in time it could be his favorite place. My macaw will walk all over my home.

If you'd rather him not be a feathered floor rat, now is a good time to reward that 'want up' attitude.

Many think (and it can be) that floors are dangerous for birds. You know what your home and floor is like.

Large dogs? A bird on the floor may not be the best thing.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Then you're lucky he's not wanting it now. You have an advantage already. Make sure though you have fun places where he can safely stay so that the floor doesn't later become interesting.

I have large tree stands in almost every room of my home (I've had a few years though to collect them).

Having one or two that move around can be a life saver. A bird room is even better. I want one so badly!

Tempted2Touch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
I have a very large play tree that's on wheels! And he's cage is over 7' tall that he can play on because the top opens. I have TONS AND TONS of new toys I've been buying and all different kinds of perches. I wanted to make sure I was properly prepared! Lol

Tempted2Touch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
I do have a spare room! But I fear that he may feel cut off from the family with his cage in there

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
you have to think safety first with all birds great and small. and because you have dog with high prey drive (pits) you must consider their desire to get the bird. this JMHO, please consider that when the bird is out of it's cage whether on Java type tree or cage play stand, that the dogs must contained either in kennels or in secure room with the door close and some how locked. I volunteer at clinic and have seen what dogs do to birds both large and little. it is not pretty and most of the time the bird doesn't survive the mauling. JMHO