• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Advice

Mans74

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amanda
Hi,
I’m meeting my friends Macaw tomorrow and have been told that it flies and attacks almost everyone (my friend is his “person”)
Can anyone tell me what to actually if this happens? I.e. run, stand tall etc
I don’t want to loose an eye!
Practical advice please
Thanks so much

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
The macaw shouldn’t ever be put in a position where it can fly and attack a person if it’s known to do so and can at all be prevented. The best advice I can give is avoid that situation entirely.
An adult macaw on the warpath doesn’t have any quick tricks that a person can do to avoid attack besides avoiding being in close proximity.

Mans74

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you, but any other advice for if I have to be in the same house?
Should I make eye contact? Ignore (if possible) turn my back? Leave the room?

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
The macaw shouldn’t ever be put in a position where it can fly and attack a person if it’s known to do so and can at all be prevented.
100 times this. Please tell your friend to contain the bird for the duration of your visit.

but any other advice for if I have to be in the same house?
If you're in a situation where a bird, "flies and attacks", you have no hope of outrunning it. Stand your ground, and "catch" it with your forearm (try to have it land there). Wear a thick hoodie or sweater with another long sleeve layer underneath and you'll feel pressure from any bite, but it shouldn't break your skin, and arm bones are too thick to break. Have a towel nearby to cover the bird until your friend can retrieve it.

I think any response other than this runs the risk of losing all control of the situation and/or injuring the bird...

• don't shew it away (could injure the bird)
  • don't hurriedly try to shut a door between you and the bird (could kill the bird)
  • turning your back will cause you to forfeit any hope of controlling where they land on you (increases changes of injury to you)
I hope you have a long arm and the macaw isn't large, otherwise they'll be within reach of your face even on your forearm.

On second thought, again, please tell your friend to contain the bird for the duration of your visit.

Your friend owes it to you and their bird to keep everyone safe.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
An angry MACAW, on the warpath is a force to contend with. There is nothing amusing about one at all and they can do an immense amount of physical damage. I know - my Hank was a raging maniac when I first got him.

I would avoid going to your friend's, if he doesn't agree to keep the bird contained while you are there. I cannot imagine what a very poor quality owner it is that would dream of putting his bird in such a position.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If the bird is caged: don't stare - birds are prey animals and staring makes them think they're about to get pounced on and eaten. Look sideways at the bird if you look at him at all. Otherwise, stay relaxed and calm and don't make abrupt or fast movements.

I agree with the others though. Allowing a macaw to launch flying attacks on people is obviously bad for the people, but if someone panics and hits out, could also injure the bird. This speaks volumes about your friend, and none of it is good.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Koko, my BG, went thru a phase where she would lunge or if on the floor run after my daughter. She has never flown but she could. Our house is small so if my daughter needed to get anywhere need her I would stand between Koko and her or remove Koko from that area. It was my responsibility to make sure no one got hurt because I knew what could happen. I would never blame Koko if something happened because I take full responsibility for the safety of people that are around her. I really hope that if your friends parrot injures someone that don't blame the bird.