• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Adventures 2023

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We don't plan on adding more macaws to the flock this year but you never know what might happen. I would love to add another pair or two of red-fronted macaws but my other half frowns when I mention it. Their high pitch vocalization grates on his nerves. I love the little ones though and I would make room for them if the opportunity came up. Last year we ended up with 8 baby macaws. Two green wings and 6 red-fronted. Enzo, the baby green wing went home in early December. His family absolutely loves him and he's fitting in well with everyone. Baby Bo is still with us and will probably go home sometime in February. She's had a minor crop infection, but she's doing fantastic on the antibiotics, and giving her the medication is the easiest thing in the world. I spoke to the vet today and the poor girl has two strains of bacteria that were getting out of control. Luckily both strains are sensitive to the antibiotic she was prescribed and she's doing really well on them. I noticed a difference after just a single day on the medication, so the full 10 days will take care of it. We try our best to keep things as clean as possible so I asked the vet how she could have gotten it. This is one of those things that just lives in the environment and they managed to get inside and thrive. She is down to one hand feeding a day so once the crop infection is gone we can get her fully weaned and ready for Darby to spoil her.

The year is off to a weird start but should be better now. Chewie is pouting and upset with me. We went to Florida for Christmas so we were gone for about 8 days. When we came back home I came down with a yucky cold and spent a few days in bed. I was home for a week and went back to Florida for another week because my father passed. We weren't close but I went back to tie up some loose ends and put that relationship to rest. I wasn't able to spend any time with Chewie for almost 3 weeks and now he's pouting. He's not angry, which is good because I don't want another rage bite. I tried to pick him up this morning and he went to the back of the cage and shied away from me. Eventually, I coaxed him out and he let me rub the side of his head. I'm sure all will be forgiven in time... at least until I get him in to get his nails groomed. He's so dramatic over it and the pouting afterward is comical. Poppy is perpetually angry but she's hormonal again and being terrible to Chewie. Their cages are side by side and if she can get his tail feathers she latches on to them and won't let go.

Here is a picture of Bo. She looks a little rough, but I won't take her in for grooming until she's done with the medication. The poor girl still has those massive feet though. At 5 1/2 months she's almost 1000 grams.

IMG_8348.jpeg

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I love seeing your posts about your macaws.
I hope baby Bo gets over her infection soon. It must be doubly uncomfortable when the babies get sick.
Glad you are feeling better and sorry to hear about the loss of your father.
:sadhug2:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Especially these last few months sound as though they have been -- exhausting and challenging. I'm sorry for all of the losses your family has experienced and hope that 2023 will be a happy and healthy one for you and all those you love. Chewie will come around, poor thing!

Bo is gorgeous! I'm sure Darby can't to get her home!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been up for about 45 minutes and all I want to do is sit for a few minutes and enjoy a cup of coffee. The Eclectus started screaming because they wanted to be fed right away. Saffy, the citron cockatoo joined in. Jackie the blue crown is screaming because BooBoo is screaming, and Christopher keeps screaming for everyone to shut up. Everyone few minutes she will let out a loud sigh and then mumble, stop it. I can't find my noise-canceling headphones and I need to get the big birds fed, watered, and run myself through the shower in the next 45 minutes so I can open the store early today. We have one guy out with a mystery ailment and another with covid. I get to do it all over again tomorrow. At least I can sleep on Sunday - I hope.

I still love the chaos, but I could do it with a little less noise.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My goodness I'm so sorry it's already a stressful day. I hope it gets better.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just when I thought the bad start to the year would finally get better - I test positive for covid. I had it very early in 2020 before we really knew what it was. That was horrible. I've had all the shots but I figured it was just a matter of time before my luck ran out and I got it again. This is very mild with some fatigue and a migraine that I can't seem to shake. I felt worse a few weeks ago when I had a cold. So now I'm just resting because my body gives me no choice. I have so much to do, but it will get done when I get to it and I'm not going to stress about it.

This evening, since I've had nothing else to do, I spent some time with Chewie. He came into the office with me and I played some music for him. He was silly and danced a little. I had him on the back of my chair and all of a sudden he steps to my shoulder, puts his head down next to my cheek, and whispers... hi! He can be so strange sometimes. I rarely let him up there since that bite he gave me last summer, but he stepped right onto my hand when I offered it and he let me scratch his head and chin. It's the little things sometimes.

IMG_8384.jpeg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww sweet Chewie. I'm so sorry to hear you're sick hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I hope you feel better soon!

Chewie is so cute:xflove:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry you're sick! But, I think your body was telling you to rest, and it forced the issue.

Chewie can tell you aren't well, so he decided to be a sweetheart :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Gorgeous :heart:
Hope you feel better soon I had it about two n half weeks ago second time wasn’t nice but more flu type just make sure you rest up

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks. This is day 4 and I'm still testing positive. It's more annoying than anything. I don't feel bad, just run down and I tire easily. I hate that I need to stay home when there are things I need to do. I can get anything I need delivered, but I would like to get out of the house too.

I was playing with my phone the other day when Chewie was sitting in the living room with me. I'm not sure how I captured this one but here he is in black and white.

IMG_8361.jpeg

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Oh that is gorgeous!! :heart::heart:
sorry you are feeling under the weather, but enjoy the extra cuddling time you suddenly now have!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That’s an amazing accidental picture!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Sorry to hear you're sick again.
You sure are having a rough start to the new year.
Here's hoping you feel better soon xx :hug8:
Chewie is adorable in color or black and white. :)

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been testing twice a day since Sunday. I was positive this morning, and negative this evening. I'll test again in the morning and hopefully, the test is still negative. My co-worker tested positive for a full 7 days. If I got it from her, I was probably positive for a few days before I knew it. This is where the cliche "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired" comes in. If it had just been this it wouldn't be so bad but I've been sick since I came back from Florida a month ago and I'm over it. I'm taking the good with the bag though. My niece gave birth to a beautiful baby girl this morning. Just a bit over 5 pounds and 18 inches long. She's little but healthy and that's all I could wish for. We knew she was coming, but that was the best news to wake up to this morning.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my word! Chewie is such a character!

I hope your COVID nightmare ends very soon.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Finally! Two days of negative tests and I can go back to work. I had to escape the house for a while today so I went to the bird store to get a few things. I had to see Sandy while I was there. She was happy to see me. I gave her some cashews and all is right with the world. I spent a few minutes with Levi as well. I'm still trying to figure him out and I suspect the info we were given wasn't all that accurate. He has a definite preference for men, but he's lacking trust in people in general so he's going to take some work. It's going to be a slow week but I'm looking forward to getting out of the house again.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's wonderful news! So glad that you're testing negative now.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Glad to hear you tested negative and were able to get out for a bit.
Hope you're feeling better :)