• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw abuse(advice needed))

..Heron..

Checking out the neighborhood
I believe a macaw on my street may be being abused. I see it out side every day. Its a Green Winged Macaw.
1)It has a small cage coverd in rust. There are no toys and no preches.
2)Its fed a diet of only seeds. It constantly looks sickly.
3)It just sits on top its cage all day. I've never seen anyone interact with it. The only movement from it is the very rare times I see it rocking and pacing back and fourth.
4)I hear nothing from this bird. No noises at all!
5)Its out in the hot sun constantly and by barking dogs. (Idk if that's bad but the Macaw only moves when the dogs start barking.)

I have no clue how to help this bird if it is in trouble. I live in Hawaii and we don't have any shelters for birds. At least not near were I live. Also I'm a minor.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You should talk to your parent or guardian first, but if they agree, you could contact your local animal law enforcement agency (SPCA, humane society, etc.).

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you do not know the whole story and have not actually seen it being abused then you may not be assessing the situation correctly. Totally agree with expressmailtome regarding your parents involvement.

1) Are you sure the cage you see is its only cage? You mention no perches and also mention the bird is always on top of the cage- if it does not use the inside then it needs no perches or toys in there.
2) you state it is on a diet of only seeds- how do you know this for sure?
3) Unless you are there all day yourself how can you be sure it has no interactions?
4) A quiet bird does not mean abused bird...
5) Are you positive it is stuck in the hot sun all day?

I ask and highlight this stuff simply because an outsider looking in never sees the whole picture... I was very nearly reported for animal abuse for a bird I had in my care for less than two weeks- thankfully as more information came out I was no longer treated so abruptly and no longer seen as an abuser. I am not saying you are wrong but incomplete information may be leading you to the wrong conclusions so please be sure to find out as many facts as possible before acting.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Just googling I found several parrot rescue groups.
One of these may be able to reach out to the owners and estimate if the bird needs rescued, or if the owners possibly need help.

bonjourtok

Meeting neighbors
I would talk to your parent about it.

1) In an environment with a saltwater breeze like Hawaii, many of the nicest cage setups can/will rust. As far as the size, our hyacinth has an enormous flight cage but still chooses to climb into/spend time in the connected smaller cage that's more meant for a cockatoo/short tail bird.
2) How are you getting so close to see it's diet? It could be fed fresh food inside & then just given seed mix outdoors so that it has constant access to food.
3) I second what @Shezbug said
4) again what @Shezbug said
5) Dogs and birds cohabitate often. The sun thing is concerning but I think you should get a second opinion as it seems

It's good that you're concerned but there's probably more to it's care than you can see as a neighbor.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Do you know these neighbor's? If you know them to kind and friendly there might be more behind the story. It is good for you to be concerned, because if something is happening, there is someone who cares.

Last edited by a moderator:

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
Is this a neighbor that you know at all? Have you seen them outside before? My thought would be that maybe you and a parent could casually walk by and say something along the lines of "I love your bird! He is so beautiful!" Starting with a compliment is always a better way to go, I think. The next step is really up to the other person, but they might reply with, "She's a pain in my neck!" -- to which you might say something like are you looking to re-home her? Or, what is it like to keep a macaw? They might say, "Oh thank you! I've had her forever and she's just such a joy!" -- to which you could ask if you could spend some time with the bird, or if they would be willing to teach you a little more about how to care for such a lovely bird. They also might grumble, or say nothing, or may not even ever be seen outside the home -- and that means that if something needs to be done, an adult should do it. Still, I would have a talk with your parent(s) ahead of time, explaining your concerns and what you would like to do, and go from there.