• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent mabye scratched by a cat

sokyoung

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,
I have a cat and two lovebirds, usually I separate them but this evening, I didn't notice that the cat reached behind me
When I turned back, the cat was tring to catch a bord with her hand
I look out any wound, I can't see any visible wound on him, but I'm worried cause feathers can cover the wounds
I want to take him to vet as soon as possible, but I live in Korea, and it's 23h so there's no vet available and I'm not sure I can take hime tomorrow cuz it's sunday....
2 days without antibiotic is dangerous in this case?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
If your bird was scratched by a cat it needs vet care immediately! The bacteria on cat claws and saliva from bites can be fatal to birds. Your bird will need antibiotics as soon as possible if it was scratched. Please seek medical care for your feathered friend.

can you towel your bird to search for a scratch?

sokyoung

Checking out the neighborhood
If your bird was scratched by a cat it needs vet care immediately! The bacteria on cat claws and saliva from bites can be fatal to birds. Your bird will need antibiotics as soon as possible if it was scratched. Please seek medical care for your feathered friend.

can you towel your bird to search for a scratch?
I'm calling all the vet in the list but there is no vet available saturday night... I think I have to bring him to a vet tomorrow morning...

How can I towel my bird? I just don't know what it means

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I wouldn’t recommend toweling if you have never done it before. Have the vet show you how to do it properly. Keep a close eye on him until tomorrow. Is he acting normal, eating, drinking etc? No visible blood on feathers?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad that you were able to find a vet to get your little one checked out,I hope he will be just fine :) Sorry to hear that you werent feeling well hopefully your feeling better now.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hope you feel better soon but least you can rest & know your bird is on the mend. Cat bites or scratches even if very small can be deadly so its good you got him to the vet.