• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mabel's new game!

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gosh all this Spanish is giving me disturbing flashbacks to my GCSE Spanish speaking exam when they asked me where I like to go on holidays and all I could think of was "hamburguesa" so naturally I said I loved going to "Los Estados Unidos" (?) to eat hamburgers and look at cute boys in California...

I've never even been outside of Europe :laughing2:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Incidentally my Spanish has certainly gone down hill since then...my Cuban friend keeps saying Spanish words to me and I can only stare back cluelessly like a carp...

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Gosh all this Spanish is giving me disturbing flashbacks to my GCSE Spanish speaking exam when they asked me where I like to go on holidays and all I could think of was "hamburguesa" so naturally I said I loved going to "Los Estados Unidos" (?) to eat hamburgers and look at cute boys in California...

I've never even been outside of Europe :laughing2:
I'm not looking forward to it...

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not looking forward to it...
It's really not so horrendous. As a speaking examiner myself I can say it's hard to royally screw stuff up, I give very few fails (in the official English exams anyway). If you are lost for words just make up some absolute rubbish (like I did!), and asking to repeat or say something slowly is not a "bad mark". I managed to get an almost perfect score in my German speaking exam by just being incredibly jolly and friendly, and not over thinking stuff. If I forgot a word I just breezed past it and said it in other terms. Speaking is actually my strong point (in other languages haha).

mak

If you are lost for words just make up some absolute rubbish (like I did!)
I don't know, to me that sounds kind of lindapherous if you know what I mean.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Did you say I sympathize with your mother? :D
Um, no. I said that I have a friend who is hearing impaired who could help teach sign language. Emmy taught me how to say "bs" in sign language. She's also very friendly and is a parrot mom.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
jajajaj por ese estan las amigas!!

Y si es máma de pajaros, porque no esta aquí en AA? :( O no hablas Inglés?

Her friend is kind and also a parrot mum :)
Em/Emily si habla ingles y la he invitado a visitar AA. Emily does speak English and I have invited her to visit AA.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Um, no. I said that I have a friend who is hearing impaired who could help teach sign language. Emmy taught me how to say "bs" in sign language. She's also very friendly and is a parrot mom.
I tried! :p

Bs in sign language! Lol!:roflmao:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I'd also love to learn sign language.
When I was working as a Child Support Enforcement Investigator for the State of Ohio, Lorain County, the county had a sign language instructor come for one of those Cultural Diversity classes (this was back in the mid 80's through the late 90's). I had always wanted to learn sign language so i signed up for classes with the instructor. It was great. It's a beautiful language. I would sign the hymns at my church (learning them with some extra after class help with the teacher...she was great...I would just give her the scheduled songs and video tape her signing the songs on Mondays and I'd have till Sunday to learn them). I worked with a deaf woman at Child Support. She was from the generation that was not taught to sign, but to read lips and to speak so as not to stand out as different. Sadly, if you don't use it, you lose it...and, not knowing any deaf or hearing impaired people, I have forgotten much of what I learned. Just like losing the Czechoslovakian my siblings and I spoke as very young children when my mother's "baba" lived with us. My great grandmother never learned English.

look at cute boys in California...
Sorry...I got the last good one here! I found them to be cuter in the midwest!:okwink:

Last edited:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know, to me that sounds kind of lindapherous if you know what I mean.
I should emphasise not making up words, just stories :laughing2: :laughing2: :laughing2:

When I was working as a Child Support Enforcement Investigator for the State of Ohio, Lorain County, the county had a sign language instructor come for one of those Cultural Diversity classes (this was back in the mid 80's through the late 90's). I had always wanted to learn sign language so i signed up for classes with the instructor. It was great. It's a beautiful language. I would sign the hymns at my church (learning them with some extra after class help with the teacher...she was great...I would just give her the scheduled songs and video tape her signing the songs on Mondays and I'd have till Sunday to learn them). I worked with a deaf woman at Child Support. She was from the generation that was not taught not to sign, but to read lips and to speak so as not to stand out as different. Sadly, if you don't use it, you lose it...and, not knowing any deaf or hearing impaired people, I have forgotten much of what I learned. Just like losing the Czechoslovakian my siblings and I spoke as very young children when my mother's "baba" lived with us. My great grandmother never learned English.
When I was young I was rather fluent in sign language as my mum is an interpreter for the deaf. Unfortunately one day I turned round and said I didn't want to learn anymore (I was very young, like 6/7) and since then I don't remember much.

The last few weeks since we can start visiting people in small groups in the UK my mum has started teaching my young cousins sign language to give them something to do while they aren't at school, they love it!

Sorry...I got the last good one here! I found them to be cuter in the midwest!:okwink:
It's alright if now, I went to la Suiza and found one there :laughing2: I replaced "hamburguesa" for "queso"!

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
@Ali I have that cage also. It's the best thing I've ever bought for my birds! @TikiMyn inspired me to get it (she also has one).

Of all the languages I've had to learn I'm happy I learned English (makes live very easy) but instead of France and German I would have much rather learned Mandarin.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
@Ali I have that cage also. It's the best thing I've ever bought for my birds! @TikiMyn inspired me to get it (she also has one).

Of all the languages I've had to learn I'm happy I learned English (makes live very easy) but instead of France and German I would have much rather learned Chinese.
They are spoilt little lovies!