• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

- M I R R O R S - What do you guys think about them?

ParakeetMa

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ash
i just wanted to see everyone opinions about them because i have done researching and i am considering different options for my bird. thank you!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Ohh, this is a pretty debated question. most parrot people who know what they're doing are against them, birds can develop an obsession with their reflection and become frustrated. At this point they are usually so obsessed with the mirror that they're protective of them, and it becomes hard to take them away without distressing the bird. The bird can interpret the reflection as a mate and get worried if it's taken away.

I say no mirrors.

Edit: If it doesn't become an obsession then its probably OK but I wouldn't risk it.

ParakeetMa

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ash
Ok because i have given my budgie a mirror for probably a few months and he is just look and chirps to it, i was just wondering. :):D

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Ok because i have given my budgie a mirror for probably a few months and he is just look and chirps to it, i was just wondering. :):D
If that's the main or only toy he plays with, remove it. If he increases his time spent around it, take it away. If he treats it just like any other toy and still spends most of his time doing other things, then it's fine. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My budgie has one and he only chats to it a few times a day, he plays with the bells hanging off it more than he bothers with his reflection, he plays with his finger traps, chew toys and beads much more than his mirror so it’s not a problem. If he was obsessed with it causing him to be less interested in everything else available to him then I’d remove it.
I honestly feel it depends on the individual bird more than anything else.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You will get different opinions. I have had budgies for many years and every one has adored chatting with their friend in the mirror especially the males. Never had any negative issues.