• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lupron/chronic egg laying

teena87

Meeting neighbors
Helllo,

My lovebird is a chronic egg layer (3-6 eggs every other month almost) and she never had an issue until last time where she ended up hospitalized for 2 days.

She received her first Lupron shot a couple of weeks ago and so far no eggs. Vet is saying to do Lupron once a month for the rest of her life.

I am wondering if others could share experience with Lupron. How frequently for how long and how long it was effective for if effective at all.

I am also wondering if anyone has any other tips to discourage egg laying outside of Lupron, I as I understand it may not be a long term solution.

I removed everything that could resemble a nest or nesting material, I cover her with blackout curtain for 12 hours of darkness (there is no artificial light used in their room in the evening either).

What else could I do?

There is a male in the room but not in the same cage (they are out together throguhout the day though). Vet advised to separate them so that they cannot hear each other. Unfortunately they can hear each other between 2 floors of the house and I really do not want to isolate either one of them anyway :(

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used fake eggs for my U2. So far it's worked. It's been 6 months since she laid an egg. I took her real egg(s) & added fake eggs to amount to 4 total. I used a glass pie dish to make her a nest & to put the eggs in. I let her have them as long as she wanted. Then when she lost interest I tossed them. Finally when she laid the last egg she didn't want anything to do with it at all & she only laid the one egg. Usually she'd lay 2-3 eggs & they'd be a few days to a good week or more apart. The fake/dummy eggs aren't cheap, but I'd rather use them than Lupron shots.
You can buy them here: DummyEggs.com, Dummy Eggs Help Stop Egg Laying in Pet Birds! Fake Eggs, Solid Plastic Eggs in all sizes.

teena87

Meeting neighbors
I used fake eggs for my U2. So far it's worked. It's been 6 months since she laid an egg. I took her real egg(s) & added fake eggs to amount to 4 total. I used a glass pie dish to make her a nest & to put the eggs in. I let her have them as long as she wanted. Then when she lost interest I tossed them. Finally when she laid the last egg she didn't want anything to do with it at all & she only laid the one egg. Usually she'd lay 2-3 eggs & they'd be a few days to a good week or more apart. The fake/dummy eggs aren't cheap, but I'd rather use them than Lupron shots.
You can buy them here: DummyEggs.com, Dummy Eggs Help Stop Egg Laying in Pet Birds! Fake Eggs, Solid Plastic Eggs in all sizes.
I never tried those because Mango would sit on her real eggs for a few weeks and when she realized that nothing was happening (eggs were never fertilized as the male prefers a sock) she would abandon them and just lay a new batch soon after. I never removed her real eggs until she abandoned them because if I did, she would just lay again sooner. Point being, I do not see it being any different with dummy eggs? She would just sit on them (at best) nd them abandon same as her actual eggs?

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I never tried those because Mango would sit on her real eggs for a few weeks and when she realized that nothing was happening (eggs were never fertilized as the male prefers a sock) she would abandon them and just lay a new batch soon after. I never removed her real eggs until she abandoned them because if I did, she would just lay again sooner. Point being, I do not see it being any different with dummy eggs? She would just sit on them (at best) nd them abandon same as her actual eggs?
With the dummy eggs you place them as soon as they lay one egg. That is supposed to trick their mind into thinking they laid enough & they stop laying. After my U2 laid eggs, 3 different times, & I gave her fake eggs she has stopped laying. Yes they will sit on them like real eggs. The last time she only sat on them one day & gave up.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Can you ask about suprelorin implants instead? They last at least a year. They can become immune to lupron over time, so it might not work after a while. My Luna has the implants and she’s been egg free and less bity since about March.

teena87

Meeting neighbors
With the dummy eggs you place them as soon as they lay one egg. That is supposed to trick their mind into thinking they laid enough & they stop laying. After my U2 laid eggs, 3 different times, & I gave her fake eggs she has stopped laying. Yes they will sit on them like real eggs. The last time she only sat on them one day & gave up.
ah ok I understand, it will basically reduce the clutch. I will try to those next time she tries to lay (which I hope won’t be soon). Thank you!

teena87

Meeting neighbors
Can you ask about suprelorin implants instead? They last at least a year. They can become immune to lupron over time, so it might not work after a while. My Luna has the implants and she’s been egg free and less bity since about March.
i will ask, thank you! They haven’t mentioned this