• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Loxicom/Meloxicam information help please

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My old whippet (13-14 years old) has been put on Loxicom 1.5mg/ml oral suspension for pain and inflammation control as he had a bit of a tumble when my younger 50kg dog tried to play with him and ended up kinda body slamming him.
He also had a suspected mini stroke after the initial injury and also has arthritis.
He has never been on pain relief for arthritis as it was not too bad till his incident early on Thursday morning (it's now saturday morning here). The initial dose given to him (double dose to start off with) seemed to make him feel much better and he has had one more dose since (one dose per day given at the same time) but last night he was feeling so good he decided to jump off the couch instead of waiting for help to get down and seems to have really hurt himself again.
His blood test results were apparently very good and the vet said she was actually highly shocked at how well everything seems to be with his blood work and general health given his age. So, other than his flare up from the dog wrestling incident and his slight dementia everything else health wise is good.

Is anyone familiar with this medication and how long it will take for it to fully work for his inflammation and pain?
She did tell me it would take a few days for it to fully control the inflammation and pain but I do not think I listened as well as I should have as I was so stressed about him and making the right choice for his sake..... I was fully expecting to have no choice but to have him put to sleep given his age and what happened to him so I was not thinking straight when I was told they thought he would be ok with long term medication and some extra TLC for a few days.
The vet I take him to is not available on the weekend and I have not had good experiences with the other vets who are available at the moment, they usually try not to help with any information over the phone and I do not agree with some of their ideas of keeping pets alive as long as possible for the owners sake even if the pet is still suffering.
I am not sure what to expect from this medication so any information or personal experiences with it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for the links, I will check them out :)

The blood tests showed his kidneys are working perfectly and his liver is really healthy too so given how old he is the vet was happy that he can use it long term (long term for him will not be very long given his age and state of dementia). I just want for him to be comfortable and I am unsure of how long it will take till this medication will work its best for him. Every now and then he gets very confused and does not recognize us or where he is for a little while, once this stuff starts showing signs of unsettling him or scaring him I will be having him put to sleep:( It is not fair to keep him alive for my sake if he is not totally comfortable and happy, short term while we wait for the medication to work is different than living the rest of his life uncomfortable.

My poor old man is just not quite right and I really feel horrible for him that I can not just completely take the pain away right now for him.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My 13yr Dutch Shepherd was put on meloxicam. I dont know much about it though. We get it from Walgreens in 7.5mg tabs, but only give her 1/4 of a tab a day (we did the double dose at first as well). I give it in the morning but she does seem to slow down or show signs of stiffness as the day goes on. Her xrays showed arthritis in 3 small areas in her back. I guess that doesnt really help or answer your questions, hoping for the best for him :sadhug2:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My 13yr Dutch Shepherd was put on meloxicam. I dont know much about it though. We get it from Walgreens in 7.5mg tabs, but only give her 1/4 of a tab a day (we did the double dose at first as well). I give it in the morning but she does seem to slow down or show signs of stiffness as the day goes on. Her xrays showed arthritis in 3 small areas in her back. I guess that doesnt really help or answer your questions, hoping for the best for him :sadhug2:
Thank you :)

Do you remember how long it took for the medication to start working its best for your dog?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You may want to check w/ Claire - Love my zons. I know she's had an older dog or 2 & may know. Her kitty has been really sick w/ digestuve stuff. You may want to PM her.

I'm sorry your fur baby's getting older & needs a little help. Sending healing thoughts to AU for you & yours!

:bluhug:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My min pin (Bella) was just prescribed meloxicam for some hip pain she was experiencing. Meloxicam usually works quickly; within 30 minutes to relieve pain. It has always been my understanding that it takes at least 2 weeks for it to get in the system for maximum pain and inflammation control.

My Bella hops and jumps up and down and it was next to impossible to keep her from doing so when she was hurt once she started taking the med. I even bought her some stairs to put next to the sofa. There was only 2 stairs, but she would not go near them and jumped over the top of them.

I hope your little one gets relief from the medication.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you so much for the information @Karen, I thought the vet said it would give a bit of relief early on but full control and effects would be a little longer....I was hoping it was days as opposed to weeks. I really can not deal with seeing my little fur buddy looking so sore and miserable, it is breaking my heart to see him so uncomfortable.

I am thinking I may have to use the dog pen I have from when my younger dog was a puppy to keep him in so he can not jump up on the couch or beds. He was seemingly doing so well till he decided he could jump off there on his own and now we seem to be back to square one with his pain and discomfort :(

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I do also try to keep her from running to much, but for her it seemed to work right away.