• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Low fat baby bird formula

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My guys (some) love comfort food thru a syringe but don’t like Harrison’s ground up anymore. Vet gave me emeraid powder. It’s very sweet and very high fat . So even mixed 40-60 with Harrison’s it causes problems for two birds. They love it but suffer. All baby bird formula seems to be high fat but I found Nutristart by lafeber which is only 8%!!
Hopefully they will like it.
In the meantime I will need to mildly sweeten Harrison’s. LScoot doesn’t fill up- he saves room for syringe food . Pasteurized honey?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Apple sauce no good?
I know many don’t like or suggest feeding honey because of high sugar content and also I believe theres a chance of bacteria or something like that, I can’t remember exactly.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Apple sauce no good?
I know many don’t like or suggest feeding honey because of high sugar content and also I believe theres a chance of bacteria or something like that, I can’t remember exactly.
Apple juice didn’t work. He used to love it with a pinch of prozyme then I stopped it because he would fall asleep right after breakfast syringe. Now he doesn’t get syringe food for breakfast and still falls asleep lol. Vet said to put him back on prozyme. @Macawnutz recommended it and @Hankmacaw used it too I think. I have to order it, mine is very old. Prozyme makes the food very digestible and silky smooth.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I love the prozyme. It works really well for syringe food!

Korbel was on emeraid for a while and it IS disgustingly sweet. He hated it because of that. My only bird that really does not like fruits, he is a veggie guy all the way. There was another product that I used that was nasty sweet... I think it was one of the avi products... Gimme a few hours and I will try to remember what that was. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
When I had to feed Hank and Jasper for months at a time to keep them alive, I used this mixture most of the time and they consistently loved it and it was pretty high powered.

Harrisons HP ground pellets
Almond Butter
Papaya Fruit
Prozyme

Prozyme actually predigests some of the protein and fats so that the minute the food hits the crop it can start being absorbed by the digestive system. Kitty is getting it on all of her food due to her ABV which will eventually effect her digesting food.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One pellet I found that is high protein and no sugar is the Tropican. It is 22% protein and 11% fats (is a complete food for birds with all the Vit ). Always best to gain weight from protein rather than fat. I had Kitty on it for awhile - she liked it, but have now switched to Harrison's HP which she also likes.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
When I had to feed Hank and Jasper for months at a time to keep them alive, I used this mixture most of the time and they consistently loved it and it was pretty high powered.

Harrisons HP ground pellets
Almond Butter
Papaya Fruit
Prozyme

Prozyme actually predigests some of the protein and fats so that the minute the food hits the crop it can start being absorbed by the digestive system. Kitty is getting it on all of her food due to her ABV which will eventually effect her digesting food.
That’s what I’ll do to slightly sweeten the Harrison’s ground pellets till the prozyme gets here...add papaya! thanks for the idea!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
One pellet I found that is high protein and no sugar is the Tropican. It is 22% protein and 11% fats (is a complete food for birds with all the Vit ). Always best to gain weight from protein rather than fat. I had Kitty on it for awhile - she liked it, but have now switched to Harrison's HP which she also likes.
Kitty getting excellent TLC! :swoon:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Papaya has digestive enzymes in it too - in fact in the Carribean, where there is a lot of Papaya, it is called "The Poopy Fruit". LOL Papaya was used for many years to digest the scar tissues around spinal injuries in humans.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Does Tropican grind into smooth consistency with liquid added?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I waited 24 hours before posting this. Bought prozyme in aug 2019 from amazon. Used it few months. Left it out in the dining room. Expiration says 2022. Anyway the shopper brought me raw papaya, LScoot spat out Harrison’s mixed in pineapple juice. I was at my wit’s end and used the old prozyme. He ate well. Three times so far. Is fine. New prozyme arriving tomorrow. Such a relief he likes it like he used to!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I’ll cautiously say it’s acceptable by LScoot. He paused at the different taste then gobbled it down. BScoot loved it. JoJo gobbled it down just now. Rudy had some. Chickie’s too busy to try it

7436C39C-56EF-4554-9DA1-45EF3809C37A.jpeg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Ok! He loves it! And I’m saved the tyranny of grinding noisy pellets every week! Yay!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Excellent! :starshower1:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Hey guys LScoot is doing phenomenal on this formula. He is 15 yo. Everyone else except Jackson is eager to get it too. Vet said it’s fine long term since it’s only 30% of his diet. Wakes up and starts flying strings non stop all day long!