• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Low Body/Low Head with Wing Flapping, is it just excitement?

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Hi everyone!
I just had a question about a long-time behavior in my Sun Conure and what it truly means. He often will hunch down (I hope that the right way to describe it) and start flapping his wings fast but lightly (not full out, they are still close to his body). Now, he has done this since we've had him but tends to do it more when I'm training, I have treats in my hand, and sometimes when it's feeding time (sometimes he does it right before he comes out or before we go into their travel cages, which they both love going into their travel carriers as it means going on a road trip or for a walk). When I first search it up ages ago, I thought it was just an exciting thing but he does it very often. I often always wonder why he isn't skin and bones at this point as he does it so often but his weight has always been in a good range (he does love to eat though and eat a ton so maybe it is burning a ton of calories). I just brought it up to myself recently as my Cinnamon Green Check has started doing it. I started training them at the same time and he was way easier to train. He was more treat motivated but she was a little less. She loves being with people though so I used that. I was trying to flight train them (only in the house, just to allow them to fly to me and around the house) and she would not do it. I tried so many ways to encourage her and nothing worked. One day, Mango (Sun Conure) flew to me and Claire (Cinnamon Green Cheek) just went for it. She seems unsure about her landing and was cautious about the whole thing. While I was super happy, she still isn't huge into the flying thing and seems to prefer being carried or walking around (which I don't like her doing as I worry about her being on the floor). She will do it sometimes when I ask but once again, isn't prone to do it at all. Long story short, now on top of her "dancing" (which I'm almost 100% sure is excitement) she also does the low body/head with the wing flapping before she flies. She also seems to do it when she wants to go to someone (from me to my mom, who she loves a ton) or when she wants to go sit somewhere else (it's very rare she does it with food but there has been the odd time). The only different thing is she does it with some head bobbing. So what does it really mean? Can it mean many things? Is it more excitement-based and a happy thing?
Thanks!

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
My female green cheek conure Jade does the same thing, she has done it since the day I rescued her. I've always wondered what it is and why she might do it. She always seems to do it if she wants to fly somewhere, come out of her cage, or sometimes if she is spooked by something. So I don't really know why they do it, but I'm looking forward to the responses to this thread!

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Could you get a picture of it? My first thought was positioning for mating - they'll often "quiver" their folded wings while hunching over. But when she does it cuz she wants to go to a place it's more like "pointing" to tell you where to go. My Tiel (clipped when I got her) always did it cuz she relied on me to move her. She'd lean/hunch her entire body in the direction she wanted to go while motioning with her head excitedly. It can also simply be preparation for flying - getting the courage up!

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Could you get a picture of it? My first thought was positioning for mating - they'll often "quiver" their folded wings while hunching over. But when she does it cuz she wants to go to a place it's more like "pointing" to tell you where to go. My Tiel (clipped when I got her) always did it cuz she relied on me to move her. She'd lean/hunch her entire body in the direction she wanted to go while motioning with her head excitedly. It can also simply be preparation for flying - getting the courage up!
I have a few put-together videos that have small snippets of some of the behavior. I will time stamp them but they aren't great examples because it's short and hard to see. I will send this for now but will get some more tomorrow for a better look, they are just about to go to bed and both sleepy little things lol!
The videos btw are just fun videos I put together for them and myself, I enjoy silly videos. In most of the examples in the video, though he is not flapping as much or really at all. He seems to do a mixture but these videos don't show it very well.

(More back and forth than wing flaps, it's normally a mix)

(small flaps)

(Small flaps)
As I said, I will try to get some better examples tomorrow, I know I can I of course didn't think about getting any before it was too late!

My female green cheek conure Jade does the same thing, she has done it since the day I rescued her. I've always wondered what it is and why she might do it. She always seems to do it if she wants to fly somewhere, come out of her cage, or sometimes if she is spooked by something. So I don't really know why they do it, but I'm looking forward to the responses to this thread!
They are all interesting little creatures! I'm happy it has the interest of others, I'm excited to see too!

My Zon does it too, but he's sneaky.
He makes me think he wants to go somewhere, but when I get to him, he starts a mating dance! :laugh:
Now that's a sneaky one! I never even thought about a mating dance!

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
My sun conure (another mango) does the same and it’s more of a hyping himself up and just general wanting to go to a place behavior aka totally normal

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
All those clips look like excitement and trying to reach you, to me! "Get over here and love me/feed me!"
Okay, that's what I thought too. I will get new ones tomorrow and post to be sure but so far happy to see it's something really good ahaha! He is a big food hound and loves training time. I just thought maybe I had the wrong info the whole time!

Summzz

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Summer
Hi everyone! Sorry for the late reply! I got busy and was just able to upload the little clip I got. After thinking logically about it, it is most likely excitement in my eyes but I thought I would share it as I'm still a little newer at stuff like this. In the video we were all hanging out in the living room, he went back to get some water and then did that. Thanks for all the info!