• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovie with Circovirus but noisy

PitaLemon

Moving in
Real Name
Peter Manaridis
Soooo I got my lovie of June last year. Early this year he started losing feathers. I was almost positive he was plucking as I watched him do it.

Vets did mite treatment. Seemed to stop plucking and feathers were growing. Then one day I came home and he was bald again. Did the test and he tested positive for circovirus.

He is bald like a plucked chicken but he still eats and plays. He's very contagious so he can't be with another bird so he relies on me all day but that's sort of the problem I'm having.

He chirps non stop all day at me if I'm home. We could play for 2hrs straight and I'll put him back and he'll go off again chirping wanting to come out. If I nap he'll just watch me for the slightest movement and start chirping again. Like I have him out for hours and it's never enough. He ignores his toys almost 80% of the time and boy does he have a lot. He used to play with all of them but now he only cares about coming out.

I normally don't mind the chirping but it never stops for even a second lately. He just spends his whole day trying to get me to take him out. Seriously just staring at me. Right now I'm hidden under my blankets pretending to nap and I know he's staring at me to see when I'll wake up.
Yes I'm thankful he's active despite being sick but he's actually gotten quite bad with wanting to come out where it's becoming an issue.

Any advice on the circovirus and noise?

Attachments

PitaLemon

Moving in
Real Name
Peter Manaridis
Update: after trying to get my attention for 40min he's enjoying playing with his bell. If I get up from my bed right now he'll start his madness again. I'm scared (sort of)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When he is making loud noise, do you respond? that could encourage it.
Hide some treats in his cage to give him something to keep his mind busy.
Move toys and perches around to mix things up a bit.

The best suggestions would be to search high and low in shelters, vets etc for another bird with the same illness and give him a friend. I´m not sure how much of a possibility that would be.

PitaLemon

Moving in
Real Name
Peter Manaridis
When he is making loud noise, do you respond? that could encourage it.
Hide some treats in his cage to give him something to keep his mind busy.
Move toys and perches around to mix things up a bit.

The best suggestions would be to search high and low in shelters, vets etc for another bird with the same illness and give him a friend. I´m not sure how much of a possibility that would be.
That's a good point. He does eventually stop if I don't respond. It just takes forever. I'm worried he'll get depressed and die though.

I just bought him a new cage (same exact cage as before but different brighter colors) I rearranged almost everything and he just doesn't care. I don't think finding another bird will happen. He might even attack them because he's aggressive after bonding to me since my family refused to go near him.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes, it does sound that he is tightly bonded to you.
. He does eventually stop if I don't respond
You will have to hang tight for a bit, and eventually he will know that he can´t flock call you to come over.

Just remember, you are his only friend so as much as you can have him out, he should be out. But I understand there are times he cannot be out and it would be nice if he knew how to play so that he could occupy himself in those times. Maybe spend some time in his cage with him playing with some of his toys? My birds all love little cat balls, they are like small cage balls with a bell inside.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You may have better luck looking for articles about psittacine beak and feather disease than circovirus.

PitaLemon

Moving in
Real Name
Peter Manaridis
Yes, it does sound that he is tightly bonded to you.

You will have to hang tight for a bit, and eventually he will know that he can´t flock call you to come over.

Just remember, you are his only friend so as much as you can have him out, he should be out. But I understand there are times he cannot be out and it would be nice if he knew how to play so that he could occupy himself in those times. Maybe spend some time in his cage with him playing with some of his toys? My birds all love little cat balls, they are like small cage balls with a bell inside.
I'll try that as well. He is protective of his cage so he'll bite me if I touch his stuff. He makes playful noises but he still chomps me hard until i leave.
The pet store he came from used to abuse him and his siblings so he hates hands and he's afraid of almost anything he doesn't recognize. His tail was covered in stress marks when I got him but he warmed up to me after a lot of time where i can hold him and touch him...as long as it's not me reaching into the cage haha

You may have better luck looking for articles about psittacine beak and feather disease than circovirus.
Yes, I'm just using circovirus because it's shorter. thank you for mentioning the proper name for it. It's believed that his siblings that were all stuffed in the same cage as him all have the disease...never going back to that store again.
"Parrots of the World" in Rockville Centre, NY owned by Marc Morrone.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the diagnosis. So sad how he was treated at the store. Did you inform the store owner about the diagnosis?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The pet store he came from used to abuse him and his siblings so he hates hands and he's afraid of almost anything he doesn't recognize. His tail was covered in stress marks when I got him
Poor little guy. What a rough life he´s had! I´m just glad he´s with someone who loves him now and is caring for him.

Yes, I'm just using circovirus because it's shorter.
It can be abbreviated to PBFD, saves typing aswell.

Did you inform the store owner about the diagnosis?
It is important to let stores know if you got sold a sick bird, so they can check their birds and avoid it spreading.

What happens if you play with his toys but outside of the cage? just to get him used to playing with toys, then you can put them back in and hopefully he´ll go back to it when you are busy.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry that your baby has PBFD, but he could not have found a better dad. I wish you both the very best.

PitaLemon

Moving in
Real Name
Peter Manaridis
Sorry about the diagnosis. So sad how he was treated at the store. Did you inform the store owner about the diagnosis?
It is important to let stores know if you got sold a sick bird, so they can check their birds and avoid it spreading.

What happens if you play with his toys but outside of the cage? just to get him used to playing with toys, then you can put them back in and hopefully he´ll go back to it when you are busy.
I'll let them know soon. He's an obtuse abusive store owner so he may take it personally and deny or it have issue with it so I've been avoiding it.

He ignores all his toys outside the cage. I've even bought him like a play set with ropes and swings and he has no interest at all, he just wants to jump off it and run to me even when I'm trying to play with it with him. All he wants to do is nestle under my neck and nibble me or preen himself while sitting with me.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Both of my birds have PBFD. IT IS HIGHLY contagious and extremely difficult to eliminate from the environment the infected birds are in. I have accepted the fact that I will care for my babies as long as they survive but will probably never be able to get another bird should they both succumb to the virus. A friend who fosters through a local bird rescue has asked me if I would consider accepting another PBFD bird should two who they were testing turned out to be positive. They both came back negative but it got me thinking. I don’t want to introduce another bird now since my two are so bonded but, should Peep not survive (he is showing symptoms but so far seems healthy), I could become to local bird home for PBFD birds. Apparently the rescue would cover vet bills should I take on one of their positive birds.

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Both of my birds have PBFD. IT IS HIGHLY contagious and extremely difficult to eliminate from the environment the infected birds are in. I have accepted the fact that I will care for my babies as long as they survive but will probably never be able to get another bird should they both succumb to the virus. A friend who fosters through a local bird rescue has asked me if I would consider accepting another PBFD bird should two who they were testing turned out to be positive. They both came back negative but it got me thinking. I don’t want to introduce another bird now since my two are so bonded but, should Peep not survive (he is showing symptoms but so far seems healthy), I could become to local bird home for PBFD birds. Apparently the rescue would cover vet bills should I take on one of their positive birds.
As soon as I read this I thought of you and your 2 precious babies! The fact that your local rescue would’ve been interested in rehoming PBFD positive birds with you AND cover the vet bills is wonderful! I’d hate to think someone as loving as you are to your birds would be unable to have any in the future. We need more parronts like you, not less :(

@PitaLemon perhaps Zara’s suggestion above to reach out to local rescues may work out. Unfortunately, with the world we live in I can see how many of these sweet birds would end up in rescues. Actually, there’s likely to be more affected birds from the store you bought yours, not sure if you’d be able to find out though if the owner is as you say.

Good luck to you and your sweet baby! He obviously loves you and he’s lucky to have you :sadhug2:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A friend who fosters through a local bird rescue has asked me if I would consider accepting another PBFD bird should two who they were testing turned out to be positive. They both came back negative but it got me thinking. I don’t want to introduce another bird now since my two are so bonded but, should Peep not survive (he is showing symptoms but so far seems healthy), I could become to local bird home for PBFD birds. Apparently the rescue would cover vet bills should I take on one of their positive birds.
Wow. That's great that the rescue would support you financially if you took in sick birds. Glad the two they worried about tested negative.
Such an awful disease.