• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovie sleep schedule

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hello,

My Wally (5 wks) and Eva (4wks) have been with me 12 days and are still on a hand feeding routine. They are starting to do more bird things as the days go by. She was a bit slow to catch up. She still needed to learn how to stand up straight, walk properly, etc but after less than two weeks they are both doing zoomies and just overall very comfortable with me and my husband.

I know baby birds especially need a lot of sleep (preferably 12 hours) but I work late (I return home around 1030-1130PM). When I get back, I do the last feeding and sometimes give them a bath which they love or they nap in my hands for about 30 minutes. Then they are up again and ready to come out and eat at 7-8AM. They come out and run around and fall asleep wherever for short increments, but about 1-1.5 hours a day total. Otherwise, they live in a quiet room, tank covered, and left in peace for the rest of the time, except for their feedings.

I realize this isn’t optimal but I have to find a balance that works for both me and the babies and as long as they can adapt and are happy. I don’t want to give up socializing with them at night as it has become quite a bonding time for us.

Do you think that this is too little sleep to the point of harming them? They seem to have a lot of energy at times, bright eyes, healthy appetite, show signs of contentment and sleep well in general. Am I just micromanaging
I want them to sleep now and I hear them chirping hahaha

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
I currently have 2 lovies about 2-3 weeks old, and i wake up at 5 in the morning to feed them and feed them throughout the day until 10-11. With older birds the same sleep schedule is fine as well, my other fullgrown lovie goes to bed at about 10 normally and wakes up at like 8 in the morning.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I currently have 2 lovies about 2-3 weeks old, and i wake up at 5 in the morning to feed them and feed them throughout the day until 10-11. With older birds the same sleep schedule is fine as well, my other fullgrown lovie goes to bed at about 10 normally and wakes up at like 8 in the morning.
Such babies, that’s so sweet! My little guys go to bed around midnight but they are up and ready to eat by 7. But they also sleep throughout the day when they aren’t eating, as baby lovies do. They just seem to have so much more energy in the last 2 days, I’m surprised that they want to hop around as much. I know if I ate every 5 hours, I’d be napping a lot haha