• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

lovie pair

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi
i have a new lovie pair, very young and clearly hand raised. one is fairly tame, the other is more nervous/scared, which is OKAY because it's only been a few days ! he's a sweetheart and i'm sure will come around in his own time.

i'm curious about the myths of lovebirds. i've always heard and been told, if you want a pet, do not keep them in pairs ! i understand the semantics of this– of course if a bird has a choice, they would choose another bird. i'm fine with them being bonded buddies. what i want to know, is it possible to have them be bonded AND tame ? or is it a lost cause ? she seems to really be interested in human interaction. she flies to my shoulder to hang out and he honestly seems to like human interaction as well when he gets over that initial fear of hands.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I believe you can keep birds in pairs and still have them be tame. :)

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
i have a new lovie pair, very young and clearly hand raised. one is fairly tame, the other is more nervous/scared, which is OKAY because it's only been a few days ! he's a sweetheart and i'm sure will come around in his own time.

i'm curious about the myths of lovebirds. i've always heard and been told, if you want a pet, do not keep them in pairs ! i understand the semantics of this– of course if a bird has a choice, they would choose another bird. i'm fine with them being bonded buddies. what i want to know, is it possible to have them be bonded AND tame ? or is it a lost cause ? she seems to really be interested in human interaction. she flies to my shoulder to hang out and he honestly seems to like human interaction as well when he gets over that initial fear of hands.
Are they in the same cage? It can work but you have to put in the extra effort. If the effort isnt there, they may not care for human interaction. Since these are babies, it will be easier getting them human friendly but there is no telling them will even like each other when they grow up. Might be a love triangle where one is very attached to you, the other is attached to the bird and the one attached to you is protecting you from the other bird. If they do bond and get along with you then you will probably be the 3rd wheel. It definitely can work but I would say the human interaction between a bonded pair is generally different then a single one

Gigibirds

I had a 100% bonded m/f pair living together in an aviary.....but they still loved me!! I had hand-raised them and they were the sweetest, snuggliest birds I have ever had (apart from my p'let). It's much harder to tame them if they are bonded and living together, but I can say from experience that you can be their best friends! They loved me nearly as much as they loved each other! But quick warning: if they ever try to build a nest they might forget about you a bit.....
But it's definitely NOT a lost cause, and if they were hand-raised then you have such a great head start! Also.....do you think we could get a pic of this cute couple? Congrats on the new birds! :)

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi
I had a 100% bonded m/f pair living together in an aviary.....but they still loved me!! I had hand-raised them and they were the sweetest, snuggliest birds I have ever had (apart from my p'let). It's much harder to tame them if they are bonded and living together, but I can say from experience that you can be their best friends! They loved me nearly as much as they loved each other! But quick warning: if they ever try to build a nest they might forget about you a bit.....
But it's definitely NOT a lost cause, and if they were hand-raised then you have such a great head start! Also.....do you think we could get a pic of this cute couple? Congrats on the new birds! :)
i don’t mind them forgetting me a bit when having babies...but would that change be permanent, or just for when they’re nesting ? i’ve heard similar things regarding caiques for example but they usually are friendly again once outside of breeding season. the girlie is such a firecracker. she is always busy and flying to my shoulder or calling me when i leave the room. she has a massive personality ahaha

i attached photos of the two ! the blue one is the girlie, just based on personality & her pelvis.

Are they in the same cage? It can work but you have to put in the extra effort. If the effort isnt there, they may not care for human interaction. Since these are babies, it will be easier getting them human friendly but there is no telling them will even like each other when they grow up. Might be a love triangle where one is very attached to you, the other is attached to the bird and the one attached to you is protecting you from the other bird. If they do bond and get along with you then you will probably be the 3rd wheel. It definitely can work but I would say the human interaction between a bonded pair is generally different then a single one
they are in the same cage ! i bought them together specifically because they looked like best buddies and were always going around together as partners in crime. i thought about splitting them up to work with bonding, but i don’t think that it would be very nice for them as they really like each other. i suppose i will have to wait and see. as it is right now, both are fairly well socialized and seem to just need a bit of time to warm up and learn the home. the girl is very comfortable with hands already and i’ve been putting a lot of effort into not just letting them settle into their cage, as i worry that will cause them to group up and be against outsiders.

the girl seems more inclined to like people or another bird. she seems like both a lot. the boy i’m not sure about. they are really young and i wouldn’t call them ‘bonded’ yet as it hasn’t been THAT long together, but i’m not sure if it would be very kind to split them.

F6AC87A1-CCA9-4611-9AD3-66AAD7FE45DF.jpeg 5700AC50-A1E6-4CD5-8D12-681D31C9471C.jpeg

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
i don’t mind them forgetting me a bit when having babies...but would that change be permanent, or just for when they’re nesting ? i’ve heard similar things regarding caiques for example but they usually are friendly again once outside of breeding season. the girlie is such a firecracker. she is always busy and flying to my shoulder or calling me when i leave the room. she has a massive personality ahaha
Lovebirds unlike caiques breed year round so they can be quite hormonal very often, they can also over do it if you are not careful. Are you prepared for babies? Proper equipment and knowledge if you have to step in? Since they would be first time parents they may not be good at it. Some birds just dont have what it takes to breed. Did you buy them from the same place? If yes, are you positive they arent related? Have they been DNA tested?

Gigibirds

My lovebirds really didn't change much at all when they had babies - they will still come when I called their names, even if they were sitting on eggs!! But another one of mine did change very noticeably while having babies, but now that that's all over she is just like her good ole' self :) (except, of course, she can't bear to be away from her children, lol) Yes, your lutino boy is definitely just a few months old, based on the feet and beak (very smooth feet, beak still turning pink), and I would guess the same about the girl.....And I have to say that they are GORGEOUS! So yes, their behaviour change shouldn't be permanent, and I think it was the right thing to keep them in the same cage! It is kind and probably reduced the stress of moving a lot!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
your lutino boy is definitely just a few months old, based on the feet and beak (very smooth feet, beak still turning pink), and I would guess the same about the girl.....
That Turquoise bird has had their first moult meaning they are over 6 months old. The other bird still has their baby peachy face so (not had first moult) just a few months old.

Cute pair :) They look pretty confortable hanging out on you.

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi
Lovebirds unlike caiques breed year round so they can be quite hormonal very often, they can also over do it if you are not careful. Are you prepared for babies? Proper equipment and knowledge if you have to step in? Since they would be first time parents they may not be good at it. Some birds just dont have what it takes to breed. Did you buy them from the same place? If yes, are you positive they arent related? Have they been DNA tested?
lovebirds are the only thing i'm new to in this situation. i have baby bird formula on hand if necessary, an old joe freed 'pet'triatric incubator, vitamins, minerals, calcium, heat lamps, millet, egg food, soft foods & vegetables if anything is necessary. i have access to bird medications if necessary as well, including ivermectin & antibiotics.

these birds are siblings however, as i have just found out, so i don't intend to let these two breed. as well, they are very young so they wouldn't be breeding any time soon. they are in fact male and female based off behavior and pelvic examination. i will likely be looking for a female, unrelated, for the boy– OR keeping them but not allowing them to breed. (which i'm sure will be difficult, they are called love birds for a reason. )

however, we will be keeping girlie as well, likely as a pet. i've just absolutely fallen in love with her. she is so fun with a massive massive personality. i think she's highly highly trainable as well ! the female has a 2021 band, so i imagine that the both are fairly young.

That Turquoise bird has had their first moult meaning they are over 6 months old. The other bird still has their baby peachy face so (not had first moult) just a few months old.

Cute pair :) They look pretty confortable hanging out on you.
thank you ! that is actually a family member, but they do both step up out of the cage and enjoy being held. they love to play around, fly to shoulders, and take showers with the flock as a whole as well. i can't believe what i've been missing out on with lovies !!

My lovebirds really didn't change much at all when they had babies - they will still come when I called their names, even if they were sitting on eggs!! But another one of mine did change very noticeably while having babies, but now that that's all over she is just like her good ole' self :) (except, of course, she can't bear to be away from her children, lol) Yes, your lutino boy is definitely just a few months old, based on the feet and beak (very smooth feet, beak still turning pink), and I would guess the same about the girl.....And I have to say that they are GORGEOUS! So yes, their behaviour change shouldn't be permanent, and I think it was the right thing to keep them in the same cage! It is kind and probably reduced the stress of moving a lot!!
thank you so much for the information !!! this is all really nice to know. i don't mind and understand entirely behavior and personality changes around hormones/egg laying, but it's nice to know that they're still friendly/themselves outside of that !

you guys have all been a really great help and i so appreciate it. still have a ton to learn in regards to lovies, of course, but i think i'll have a lot of fun learning it ! the blue girls name is minnie & the boys name is ziggy, as well. i believe ziggy is an australian cinnamon & minnie is a dark factor violet, but i'm still learning the meanings of these names/colors and what all the possibilities are as well.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
– OR keeping them but not allowing them to breed. (which i'm sure will be difficult, they are called love birds for a reason.
Are these two birds bonded?
If they are not, then introduce a couple of new birds and let them choose their own mates, unless there´s a specific mutation you are trying for? But it´s hard to guess which bird will be the one they bond with. You might give them one mate and they don´t like that bird.
If they are bonded, then I would say to consider allowing them to just live together as a non-breeding pair. I have a brother sister bonded pair, they are actually from the same clutch. They mate and preen each other, and are super affectionate to one another, but when they lay eggs, I swap them with dummy eggs every single time. I keep the cage floor free of clutter, removing remnants of shredded stuff nightly so that when I uncover those birds in the morning, I see the whole grate and instantly notice if there´s a new egg.

i can't believe what i've been missing out on with lovies !!
They´re fantastic birds! :bliss:

i believe ziggy is an australian cinnamon & minnie is a dark factor violet
Minnie is definitely Turquoise. Looks just like @DoubleTake s bird Loki :)
Can´t see the back of Ziggy to see mutation. My boy Sydney is Australian cinnamon :) It is also called ¨Pallid¨, so you might see it as that in some articles if you go researching.

Sydney,
IMG_20210413_214937_949.jpg (he looks pretty fat on that picture because I took it right after he pooped :lol: )

Edit, I should have posted baby pics because he didn't look like this when he was younger, the red face is an adult thing,
Screenshot_20210416_230319_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg Screenshot_20210416_230827_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Last edited:

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi
Are these two birds bonded?
If they are not, then introduce a couple of new birds and let them choose their own mates, unless there´s a specific mutation you are trying for? But it´s hard to guess which bird will be the one they bond with. You might give them one mate and they don´t like that bird.
If they are bonded, then I would say to consider allowing them to just live together as a non-breeding pair. I have a brother sister bonded pair, they are actually from the same clutch. They mate and preen each other, and are super affectionate to one another, but when they lay eggs, I swap them with dummy eggs every single time. I keep the cage floor free of clutter, removing remnants of shredded stuff nightly so that when I uncover those birds in the morning, I see the whole grate and instantly notice if there´s a new egg.

They´re fantastic birds! :bliss:

Minnie is definitely Turquoise. Looks just like @DoubleTake s bird Loki :)
Can´t see the back of Ziggy to see mutation. My boy Sydney is Australian cinnamon :) It is also called ¨Pallid¨, so you might see it as that in some articles if you go researching.

Sydney,
View attachment 379472 (he looks pretty fat on that picture because I took it right after he pooped :lol: )

Edit, I should have posted baby pics because he didn't look like this when he was younger, the red face is an adult thing,
View attachment 379475 View attachment 379477
SOOOO so sweet oh my goodness ! and that handsome red face as well. minnie is such a motivated little genius. i've already taught her to fly to my hand for treats. my other birds are just so unmotivated it takes so long for them to pick things up ! i don't push any of them since they don't show an interest, but i love now having a bird who really has that drive !

i'm not entirely sure how bonded they are. they are definitely somewhat close, but it seems that there is a bit more distance between them the more comfortable they have been in the home. i can typically, for instance, take minnie to another room without there being much issue. they don't seem overly dependent or 100% bonded, but they certainly do at least like each other a lot. i agree that the most likely scenario would be potentially introducing him to a bunch of ladies and see if anything takes. i don't know that i'd be pairing minnie again or having her as a companion but for now i'll just play it by ear. i don't have preference for mutation color and there are currently quite a few of them where they were purchased from so i'm not particularly picky about what happens. honestly, i wouldn't mind keeping them as just a non-breeding pair but there's been some back and forth because they were purchased to try and get some babies. i'll just have to see what seems the best for them and what makes them happiest for now i think.

he has a sort of blue/purpley bum and then when his tail fans out, there are beautiful red spots. here are some slightly better photos ? he was blinking in one of them excuse the sleepy face lol he is yellow, but not really a lemon yellow. there's a bit of green in him. we had some lutino orange/red faces in the cage with him and i could pick him out based on the slight greeniness to his feathers. he is super handsome and a little slower to come around. he's definitely a bit of a homebody compared to his sister, but i think with enough time he'll come around. he just seems a little shyer.

IMG_20210417_171319.jpg IMG_20210417_171442.jpg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
i can typically, for instance, take minnie to another room without there being much issue. they don't seem overly dependent or 100% bonded,
Some of my bonded pairs are like that :)

Ohhhh so beautiful!!! Yes, the feathers have a reduction of the blue pigment (eumelanin) making the bird look yellow, but there is still a small percent present because the eumelanin reduction is not 100%,that's why they have a green hue. My Sydney does have it but you gotta look in the right light to see it. When he was a baby he did not have that bright blue rump, it's was very dull. The first main moult changed his face and rump.

I'd love to see more pictures as he grows :swoon:

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi

Ohhhh so beautiful!!! Yes, the feathers have a reduction of the blue pigment (eumelanin) making the bird look yellow, but there is still a small percent present because the eumelanin reduction is not 100%,that's why they have a green hue. My Sydney does have it but you gotta look in the right light to see it. When he was a baby he did not have that bright blue rump, it's was very dull. The first main moult changed his face and rump.

i too think that these two seem very close. i'm reticent to split them up at all. i'll give it a try with a new bird, but i won't be broken up about it if it doesn't work out.

he's so beautiful ! looking back at this photo, it is also hard to see in this that it is definitely slightly more of a green than a yellow. i wonder if a photo would need to be more next to a lutino to make the distinction clearer ? would you say that he's an australian cinnamon then ?

i will keep this thread updated in the future somewhere down the line after they've gone through a moult or two ! thank you for the all the info !

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi

i wanted to share the good good news that, when split up, both birds have been doing GREAT. eating, playing, not crying for each other or seeming anxious. i introduced ziggy to a new girl yesterday, not looking to rush things and of course, he was a little put off– but as of TODAY, he has already cuddled up with her and started grooming her.

i know that the progress may not be linear, and i will have to continue working with introducing them, but i'm so glad to see that he's doing so well. minnie is just as feisty and adventurous as always and had a great time coming to work with me today and doing some recall training as well.
IMG_20210420_223500.jpg

i've included a photo here of our lovely leeloo & ziggy ! they took a step apart after i turned to catch them in the act, but leeloo is so sweet and seems very young, so of course there is no big rush with these two either. (i find the size difference pretty funny as well. leeloo is so small and ziggy is so big.) these two are certainly not related as they came from completely different breeders. and i think it's an added bonus that leeloo seems sweet as pie. she has bright orange feathers coming in all over the top of her head, and her tail is that same vibrant orange. i think she's beautiful !

i wanted to double thank you again for all the help you'd provided here ! it felt like a very good day when those started warming up !

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That´s a very small lovebird! Beautiful though :) :cloud9:

Will you be bringing home a friend for the other bird?

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi
That´s a very small lovebird! Beautiful though :) :cloud9:

Will you be bringing home a friend for the other bird?
leeloo is so small ! and ziggy is very large, so it makes her look even smaller in comparison ha.

i'm undecided on a friend for minnie. she seems to be doing great with toys and company so far. she likes to just come out and get into everything/everyone and cuddle up at the end of the day on a shoulder. she is obsessed with toys. i think if i did, it'd be a bit of a wait for now, as i'd really like someone special.