• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovey, our B&G, Went over the Bridge

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
A very sudden thing. Our macaw, Lovey, died.
I think it was a stroke or heart attack, it was sudden. About 3 weeks ago.
Sometime around noon, she sqwaked, a different sound from anything we
have heard. We have had her over 15 years,and she was 26 when we got her.
Hubby got in the bird room first, and she was falling from the perch over
the cage and fell on the floor between the cages. Hard to get to. He lifted her out and
handed her to me, but I could tell from her limp head that she was dead. No heartbeat.
She had not been sick, and seemed fine just a little while earlier, when I gave them their
muesli with fruit and veggies. She came running in and climbed the big cages. She liked to
eat on top, in the sunny bird room, with Friday, our Yellow Nape.
My daughter said it was sad, Lovey was finally going where she wanted in the house,
and established herself in the kitchen, on her big manzanita perch, in the living room,
where her 6.5' cage was that she didn't like to sleep in (haha) and just the last few months had decided that she
liked the bathroom, where she shredded National Geographics. :)

It is a shock to only have 4 birds! A lot easier, but I find myself doing things
that I did for Lovey (our B&G) such as saving some of dinner for her~ she was
brought up by people who fed her people dinner, and she DEMANDED it!:)
but she ate pellets and loved fruit, and we miss her waving at us or saying, "Hello!"
and even her outrageously loud scream.
She loved music, and when I turned the Stones up, or Paul McCartney singing Keikoa's favorite song, "Black Bird",
Lovey would dance on my knee and sing, "Lala lala-lala lala". Her favorite word. La. Sometimes Lala.
Sometimes she called herself "Lala".
Macaws are amazing. When we got her from an elderly couple where the wife had developed Alzheimer's,
I could only sit and stare at her amazing face. About the third day, I had to touch her white skin, and was
thrilled when she "purred"!. She fell in love with me, which was difficult sometimes, since we had 6
birds. I felt badly for her, but she adapted. We had our special times, and she grew to love hubby too.
She wasn't a big fan of her big new cage. Her old cage was round, about 6' tall, but only about 28" wide.
She knew the big cage was hers, but she followed me into my office one day and decided to live under the
desk.I put in a 6' perch with ladders, and food and water, but she decided that the desk was the place to be...
until this year when she decided that she liked the bird room better! She took over one of the Goffin's cages, and
Bubo didn't mind very much, because she prefers to sleep with our BF Zon, Keikoa. :)

Lovey was always a feather-chewer, since before we got her. Many factors. And nothing seemed to change that.
I need to find more of the pictures I have taken of this wonderful bird, but having PC issues!
We loved her for herself, everything she about her was sweet and special, and we will miss her.

Attachments

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
A very sudden thing. Our macaw, Lovey, died.
I think it was a stroke or heart attack, it was sudden. About 3 weeks ago.
Sometime around noon, she sqwaked, a different sound from anything we
have heard. We have had her over 15 years,and she was 26 when we got her.
Hubby got in the bird room first, and she was falling from the perch over
the cage and fell on the floor between the cages. Hard to get to. He lifted her out and
handed her to me, but I could tell from her limp head that she was dead. No heartbeat.
She had not been sick, and seemed fine just a little while earlier, when I gave them their
muesli with fruit and veggies. She came running in and climbed the big cages. She liked to
eat on top, in the sunny bird room, with Friday, our Yellow Nape.
My daughter said it was sad, Lovey was finally going where she wanted in the house,
and established herself in the kitchen, on her big manzanita perch, in the living room,
where her 6.5' cage was that she didn't like to sleep in (haha) and just the last few months had decided that she
liked the bathroom, where she shredded National Geographics. :)

It is a shock to only have 4 birds! A lot easier, but I find myself doing things
that I did for Lovey (our B&G) such as saving some of dinner for her~ she was
brought up by people who fed her people dinner, and she DEMANDED it!:)
but she ate pellets and loved fruit, and we miss her waving at us or saying, "Hello!"
and even her outrageously loud scream.
She loved music, and when I turned the Stones up, or Paul McCartney singing Keikoa's favorite song, "Black Bird",
Lovey would dance on my knee and sing, "Lala lala-lala lala". Her favorite word. La. Sometimes Lala.
Sometimes she called herself "Lala".
Macaws are amazing. When we got her from an elderly couple where the wife had developed Alzheimer's,
I could only sit and stare at her amazing face. About the third day, I had to touch her white skin, and was
thrilled when she "purred"!. She fell in love with me, which was difficult sometimes, since we had 6
birds. I felt badly for her, but she adapted. We had our special times, and she grew to love hubby too.
She wasn't a big fan of her big new cage. Her old cage was round, about 6' tall, but only about 28" wide.
She knew the big cage was hers, but she followed me into my office one day and decided to live under the
desk.I put in a 6' perch with ladders, and food and water, but she decided that the desk was the place to be...
until this year when she decided that she liked the bird room better! She took over one of the Goffin's cages, and
Bubo didn't mind very much, because she prefers to sleep with our BF Zon, Keikoa. :)

Lovey was always a feather-chewer, since before we got her. Many factors. And nothing seemed to change that.
I need to find more of the pictures I have taken of this wonderful bird, but having PC issues!
We loved her for herself, everything she about her was sweet and special, and we will miss her.
She was beautiful and she knew that she was loved. My bird died of a stroke a month ago and I know how much it hurts. Lovey sounds like a special bird. She and Bella are across the rainbow bridge flying high together.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry that Lovey left you. That's a macaw for you - worms her way into the fabric of your family and becomes one of you. I'm sure you and your husband will miss her terribly.

Lovey fly high and free a young lady again.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm sorry Lovey is gone, and so suddenly. :sad10: She sounded like a very special girl and she was very lucky to land with such a loving family. :sadhug:

I hope you will post more pictures of her when you're able. She's adorable. :xflove:

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Carol

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry for your loss of Lovey. :sorrow: I enjoyed reading about her and she sounds like she was a very special bird.
:sadhug2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry honey, she was loved by you, that's all she wanted, fly free beautiful girl. :sadhug2:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
It sounds like she was happy, knew she was safe and loved, and loved you both back so it's about as good as you could hope for and she was home with you. :sadhug:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.