• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebirds talking

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Does anybody know the likelihood of lovies having the ability to speak?

My lovie is 7 months old and this morning and last night it seems like she was saying her name as well as imitating the kissy noises i make to her and saying "Pretty Bird!"

Do any of your lovebirds speak and how big is their vocab?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have read of lovebirds speaking but never witnessed it in my 6 or my uncles 9.
There is a Spanish youtuber who says her lovebird speaks and says, i think, ¨Te Quiero¨ (I love you)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's not a high chance that a lovebird will speak... at least not as much as say, a male cockatiel or a conure... but that doesn't mean that they can't learn! I haven't heard of one speaking myself (in person), but I have seen videos of them talking. It's possible that many lovebirds have in fact picked up talking but it's hard to understand them so their people never realized that their bird was speaking?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
at 9:32minutes of the video you can hear: (there was a video about it but I can´t dfind it.)

Here´s the video (at 3:51minutes) her bird says Te quiero (I love you), Que pasa? (How are you?), and Killo (pronounced Kiyo, meaning like ¨hey¨to call attention)

Last edited:

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
It's possible that many lovebirds have in fact picked up talking but it's hard to understand them so their people never realized that their bird was speaking?
Yeah her speaking seems to be very rough. Its fairly clear that she is making an effort because I can make out the tune in which she says it but its in a very scratchy voice. I know Amazons and African Greys have very clear voices where as other parrots have voices that are harder to make out.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
I have read of lovebirds speaking but never witnessed it in my 6 or my uncles 9.
Yeah thats why I thought that originally I was just imagining things lol. In addition she is only 7 months thats why I was so surprised since I thought that not even species well known for talking learn how to until they are a few years old, much less lovebirds.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
at 9:32minutes of the video you can hear: (there was a video about it but I can´t dfind it.)

Here´s the video (at 3:51minutes) her bird says Te quiero (I love you), Que pasa? (How are you?), and Killo (pronounced Kiyo, meaning like ¨hey¨to call attention)
También, los tortolitos hablando son muy lindos!!! Lo sé un poco de español porque mi papa y mi abuela vivieron en Mexico y Costa Rica

Nerine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nerine
I have personally witnessed a lovebird who could say his name and 'treat'. Another one I've heard say 'peek-a-boo', so yeah it's definitely possible. Female lovebirds are more likely to talk than males, so I've been told.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yeah thats why I thought that originally I was just imagining things lol. In addition she is only 7 months thats why I was so surprised since I thought that not even species well known for talking learn how to until they are a few years old, much less lovebirds.
Some birds actually pick up learning words before they are even weaned! This is usually the larger species of course, but birds who are going to talk generally start learning before they are a year old! :)

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Hello, my kiwi is will be 2 yo in April. He talks when he is by himself and getting ready to nap.

So far his very clear words are:
kiwi
pretty kiwi
peekaboo - very very clear and adorable!
pretty bird
pretty papa
hello papa

the last two only in the last few months. He does say some of the words when trying to get our attention. Peekaboo is only said when about to nap. It started with him imitating the tones..such as kiwi and pretty, would both finish in an ’eee’ sound. then it got clearer as time went by. hello and pretty papa are a totally different sound. Papa took a while as he would have to do the word with a ‘ah’ sound. The last couple of months, it has become quite clear.
I had lovebird years ago and never said a single word. Never knew they could talk but this little guy does. Keep repeating words in the same tone and inflection and eventually he might pick it up.

:heart: :heart:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
También, los tortolitos hablando son muy lindos!!! Lo sé un poco de español porque mi papa y mi abuela vivieron en Mexico y Costa Rica
Mejor, así puedes entender el video :) Dices la chica que no has hecho nada para intentar enseñar al pajarillo a hablar, pero la verdad es que los pájaros se aprenden como hablar mientras se escuchan.
Los míos solo dicen "pipew" "pew" y tal jajaja :lol:

@Birdie Mama do you have any videos? I'd love to see :)

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
@Zara those videos are sooo cute!! :swoon:

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
I have tried to take videos and have him say it in spurts ...a word, then 5 min of nothing , then another, then all of him at once, when I give up and stop recording usually!! :wacky: that type of thing. Problem is I have no idea on how to upload anywhere! Have never done that before..will do some research on it as it is so sweet to listen to him...:heart:

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Ditto with kiwi! So I set it up nearby and walk away so he resumes talking but it can take 45 minutes to get his words out with long emty dead air!! :laughing7:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
The girl seems lovely and really cares about lovebirds and wants to educate others on how to enrich their lives, her birds are all adorable! :)
She really does seem sweet and you can definitely see how much she loves her birds! They’re so cute!! I just love the yellow collared species :heart:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My lovebird doesn't say human words, but she does use certain sounds as words to me :) It's pretty cute.

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
Im a couple of hours late to this thread lol, lovebirds usually just mimic noises they hear frequently. For example, Zee says peek-a-boo (not sure where she got that) and makes random clicks and whistles. :)