• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

lovebirds sometimes jumps on and sometimes fly away

Naruto

Moving in
Real Name
Mehrab
I have 2 lovebirds, named pilu (blue-she) and naruto (yellow-he) (as said by the shopkeeper). Naruto is new about one month with us and pilu is with us more than 1 year now.

Pilu sometimes step up on my finger but mostly flies away, and naruto always flyes away. They only sit on my finger when at night i have to put them back in the cage, and i have stablished this after 1 week of regular routine (like taping on the cage and saying home home... works like a charm), but thats the only time they will sit on my finger.

i can sense fear in naruto from my hand, where as pilu even though she sits on but she bites the finger she is sitting on.

They enjoy out of cage time through out the day i arranged food and water out of the cage as well. I feel there is no motivation for them to bond with me (hope im wrong). But how do i start bonding with them?

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
You first must earn their trust. You have to become a part of the flock the two of them from. Present your self to them in a threatening way; no chasing. Use food as a bribe to step up. Talk to them or even read to them. Socialize with them. They will start to interact with you if you persist. You cannot force yourself on them, or act in any way like a predator.

No chasing. Just laidback socializing.

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
It takes time to earn their trust. My lovebirds are very food motivated. They learned to like me more when the only time they get millet is sitting on my hand. I know - it is a bribe. But, it worked and now they often sit on me and hang out. The other thing that helps is trimming their wings so they cannot fly as well. People have different feelings about this. Mine came this way from the breeder. Since they have molted out their flight feathers, they are less likely to sit on me.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
They are not lovebirds, they are budgies.
And that cage is way to small for them. Get a bigger cage and setup with a lot of fun toys for them.
And don't ever trim their wings. They need to fly to stay healthy.
The other thing that helps is trimming their wings so they cannot fly as well.
That never helps. The only thing you create is helplessness.
To tame them they must have a chance to fly away from you when they get scared because that is their natural instinct.

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Judging from the photos that you have provided you have a pair of budgies, not lovebirds!

Let the new bird settle in for a while and adjust to their surroundings. Having a bird already there that has been with you for some time will help as they know their routine and understand that you aren't a threat. When they are more settled, start trying to convince them with treats that you are an ideal perch. If you can just get them stretching over your finger to start with that is a huge step and things will follow from there. I highly recommend looking into clicker and target training before you go any further. Works like a charm. I wouldn't clip their wings. Clipping can make a bird sit on you but you want to have a relationship with the bird, not dominate them

Budgies are very monkey see monkey do. If you can get the more confident bird working with you first then the other will follow

I recommend investing in a larger cage with some enrichment and decent perches too

Naruto

Moving in
Real Name
Mehrab
Thank you all, ill make the arrangements as you all suggested.

Just needed a clarification, the thing is they are only in the cage during the night times when the lights r off, and besides that they are always out even for food they dont need to get back in the cage. knowing all this should i still get a bigger cage?

And thank you all again :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
knowing all this should i still get a bigger cage?
I think so. It's great that they have so much outside cage time, but if something happen and they must be in their cage, it's better if the cage is bigger and have some toys.
It can be that you got sick and some non bird people help you with the birds.
The cage they have now can you use as a travel cage.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
If they are out all day, then they wouldn't need a bigger cage. Just have a few places where they can be during the day to play, etc.

Naruto

Moving in
Real Name
Mehrab
ill invest in a bigger cage for emergencies,
i have swings in the cage but i cant really think of other toys as they are scared of mostly everything, i even gave them a ball but they stay far, haha far they poked it once or twice but thats it.
Naruto (yellow) is more curious then fearful and has already learnt target pilu (blue) is less interested but has also somewhat learned target (i think he is quiet old maybe 2-3 years).
what i love about them is they love music and always sings (if u can call that haha).

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Try getting them stuff they can shred and destroy. Balsa wood is great for little beaks.

Naruto

Moving in
Real Name
Mehrab
Update :),
they r now less scared and pilu (blue) plays in my hand but playing means bites every where thats bite-able. and naruto (yellow) come on the hand and sometimes stays for long time like some song length.
any suggestion on how to make pilu (blue) to not bite so much.