• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebirds Breeding for first time

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Hi

Ive got an aviary with a bunch of birds, all in seperate big cages instead of all together, and ive got a breeding pair of lovebirds (not tame) that have been going in their nest for a couple of weeks, so i waited a bit as not to disturb them because i dont want them to not go back in, but i checked today and theres 4 eggs in there, and the female went back into the nest after 5 mins.

So my question is, I want to candle the egss to see how many are fertile, hopefully one or two. But im scared that if i disturb them they wont go back into the nest. Do i leave them alone? Or can i candle the eggs?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How old are the eggs? Best time to candle is a week after being laid.
You can candle the eggs without picking the eggs up. Use a pen style led torch and candle the eggs where they are without touching or moving them.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have a lot of experience with lovebirds, but I wouldn't be too eager to pick the eggs up and candle them. The pen-style torch or one with a flexible tip that you can us to just touch the egg with is the best option. Once the lovebirds get used to you, they might tolerate you poking around in the nest box, but you'll have to wait and see how they do.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Thanks, ill find a small torch to do that. Unfortunatley i do not know how old the eggs are.