• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebirds attacking each other

Zblurt

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jules Simoneau
I just got two lovebirds 2 weeks ago and they seem to hate each other. They're peach-faced lovebirds and they seem to be close from times to times, but most of the time, they just fight. I'm scared they might injure eachother badly when I'm not looking after them. Can someone please explain to me why they fight in such an aggressive way?
Also, sorry if my english isn't perfect.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the Avenue!

If they’re fighting, please put them in different cages while you wait for lovebird people to answer. As you said, someone could get hurt.

Details of their cage, set up & history will help the lovebird people. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Definitely separate them immediately so no one gets seriously hurt.

Lovebirds are known to be rather territorial and will cause serious harm to others they’re not bonded to if kept together.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi
By fighting what do you mean biting toes or more like a little grumble bickering?
Did you buy them together or buy one then add another ?
Pictures of your cage would be good is it a big cage or smaller ?
Do they preen each other etc ?
Do you know their sex male female ?
When they fight is there anything they are fighting over eg food bowl water bowl a toy a certain perch ?

I have three lovebirds all in separate cages I did n pico are friendly to each other indie would live with pico but he’s not bothered they don’t flight when out together but they aren’t bonded so they are separate and indie is very cage aggressive
mango hasnt met them two yet tho

personally I would separate them into different cages have the cages side by side so they can still be near each other and see how they go when u get them out together
If separating them not an option you need to make sure the cage is a big flight cage and two of everything two food bowls water bowls enough space so one can get away but if they are truly fighting separate cages is your best thing to do

I’ve only had my lovebirds a year but what I have noticed is that they do not liveupto their name lovebirds and mine are definitely not like the cute cuddle up together lovebirds you see (but non of mine are bonded)
They are active most of day they are boisterous know what they want big personality in a little body

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I just got two lovebirds 2 weeks ago and they seem to hate each other. They're peach-faced lovebirds and they seem to be close from times to times, but most of the time, they just fight. I'm scared they might injure eachother badly when I'm not looking after them. Can someone please explain to me why they fight in such an aggressive way?
they are gorgeous if your profile picture is them:heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Jules, Welcome to the Avenue :)

Did the seller tell you anything else about the birds? How long they´ve been a pair? I wonder if maybe they just sold you ¨two birds¨ and they weren´t a bonded pair?

Zblurt

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jules Simoneau
Hi
By fighting what do you mean biting toes or more like a little grumble bickering?
Did you buy them together or buy one then add another ?
Pictures of your cage would be good is it a big cage or smaller ?
Do they preen each other etc ?
Do you know their sex male female ?
When they fight is there anything they are fighting over eg food bowl water bowl a toy a certain perch ?

I have three lovebirds all in separate cages I did n pico are friendly to each other indie would live with pico but he’s not bothered they don’t flight when out together but they aren’t bonded so they are separate and indie is very cage aggressive
mango hasnt met them two yet tho

personally I would separate them into different cages have the cages side by side so they can still be near each other and see how they go when u get them out together
If separating them not an option you need to make sure the cage is a big flight cage and two of everything two food bowls water bowls enough space so one can get away but if they are truly fighting separate cages is your best thing to do

I’ve only had my lovebirds a year but what I have noticed is that they do not liveupto their name lovebirds and mine are definitely not like the cute cuddle up together lovebirds you see (but non of mine are bonded)
They are active most of day they are boisterous know what they want big personality in a little body
They bite eachothers beak, sometimes wings & also toes. They seem to fight for everything. One of the two (Rico) chases Coco around and he's the one that mainly bite her, yet Coco is more aggressive towards me than Rico. I also bought them together and they preen eachother, but let's say it's rare. I think I know their sex, but the seller wasn't 100% sure. I also don't know their age.
Here's the cage (it's not that big, but I often open the cage door so they can fly and chill outside of it):

D2E80DC5-2A49-4F8B-B84E-3F353F23785B.jpeg

Last edited:

Zblurt

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jules Simoneau
Definitely separate them immediately so no one gets seriously hurt.

Lovebirds are known to be rather territorial and will cause serious harm to others they’re not bonded to if kept together.
I will, thank you!

Zblurt

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jules Simoneau
Welcome to the Avenue!

If they’re fighting, please put them in different cages while you wait for lovebird people to answer. As you said, someone could get hurt.

Details of their cage, set up & history will help the lovebird people. :)
I'm gonna do that, thanks for the advice!

Zblurt

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jules Simoneau
Hello Jules, Welcome to the Avenue :)

Did the seller tell you anything else about the birds? How long they´ve been a pair? I wonder if maybe they just sold you ¨two birds¨ and they weren´t a bonded pair?
Sadly he didn't say much. We should've also asked more questions. We don't know their age, how long they've lived together, their exact gender...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
From what you are saying, they don't seem to be bonded. So housing separately is very important.
This type of cage is no good for a pair of birds, it's too difficult to get away from each other.

Keep offering the same out of cage time for them so they can interact in the room, and see if a friendship forms :)

their exact gender...
If you want to know their genders, you can have a DNA test done at the vets. Or wait and see if any eggs get laid.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Do not apologize. Your english is very good. :)

Zblurt

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jules Simoneau
Well, I put them back together and they seem to be happy and friendly again (Coco seemed really sad without Rico). We put them in a bigger cage and they slept side by side last night.

C2722DAA-F8D2-4465-BFDC-FCC8BCC4778E.jpeg