• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebirds and caring for them

Zazu351

Moving in
Hello! I’m a new Lovebird mom, I only have one and I have been handraising him. He is tame and loving with just the occasional bites.

I am currently on holiday so I can spend a lot of time with him. I am worried that when I have to go back to work that he might be too lonely. My landlord won’t allow me to get another one.

I have a play pen outside of his cage and am planning to take him out each morning when i get ready for work and then every evening when I come back.

Anyone have a similar set up with their lovebird? I would love some advice.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue:)

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Welcome to the Avenue! I have four lovebirds, two housed together as a pair, and two who are solo but they all have the benefit of living in a home with other birds. You will have to dedicate time to him every day to make sure that he is socializing, exercising, and fulfilled in his life with you. You’ll want to make sure that he has an appropriately sized cage, a variety of perches, and plenty of toys to keep him busy while you’re not there with him. He will be fine as an only bird as long as you make sure that his life is full of enrichment to supplement your absence when you must be at work.

Zazu351

Moving in
Thank you so much! I appreciate your advice so much. Do you give your Lovebirds any extra herbal mixtures and or supplements? I am struggling to get him to eat veggies.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I don’t do any herbal mixes or supplements, but with veggies and chop the magic trick is to just keep trying. I found out a few days ago my birds are crazy about radishes! Every once in awhile they’ll take to something on the first try but most of the times they fling it everywhere and then grumble about their empty food bowls :lol: Definitely try a variety of presentations; diced, sliced, shredded, skewered, etc. for me sprinkling seeds over chop done in the food processor is usually the most successful. Just don’t focus on what you throw away because birds are messy and very little actually seems to make it into their bodies ;)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

When I had my first bird, he was alone during the day when I was at work. I was lucky I worked closeby so I would call home in my lunch break and try to always spare a few minutes to feed him a little millet through the cage bars.
As soon as I got home, I would get him out of his cage to fly and play.

You’ll want to make sure that he has an appropriately sized cage, a variety of perches, and plenty of toys to keep him busy while you’re not there with him.
I agree.
Also, a big one is foraging. It can really help pass the time for the bird and give them something to work on, enriching their life. You can make your own foraging activities, you don´t need to buy expensive toys, or you can do both.

I am struggling to get him to eat veggies.
A lot of us have been in your shoes. Being persistent and offering variety is key. Birds can be picky about how they want their food presented, and some even detest certain coloured foods. I like to finely chop veggies, mix in quinoa and sprinkle a little millet on top. My birds seem to like the quinoa, I think they think it is millet. Also, something that really helped me was waking up, making the veggie breakfast and when I uncover the birds in the morning, I remove their food bowl and put in the veggie bowls. If your bird doesn´t eat after 20 minutes, remove the veggies and put the dry food back. If they start picking at the veggie bowl, leave it a little longer. I only leave veggies a max of one hour before returning all dry food and wiping out the cage.
This link is great for figuring out which foods to include, which are better than others etc and there´s also some tips down the bottom of the page: My Chop "Recipe"

Do you give your Lovebirds any extra herbal mixtures
I sprinkle herbs on the veggies. Like regular human herbs, not a fancy mix or anything like that. Dill is a good one to include. I keep them in a shaker and use a very little amount. I also picked up some dandelion recently which I have been including :)

Zazu351

Moving in
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

When I had my first bird, he was alone during the day when I was at work. I was lucky I worked closeby so I would call home in my lunch break and try to always spare a few minutes to feed him a little millet through the cage bars.
As soon as I got home, I would get him out of his cage to fly and play.

I agree.
Also, a big one is foraging. It can really help pass the time for the bird and give them something to work on, enriching their life. You can make your own foraging activities, you don´t need to buy expensive toys, or you can do both.

A lot of us have been in your shoes. Being persistent and offering variety is key. Birds can be picky about how they want their food presented, and some even detest certain coloured foods. I like to finely chop veggies, mix in quinoa and sprinkle a little millet on top. My birds seem to like the quinoa, I think they think it is millet. Also, something that really helped me was waking up, making the veggie breakfast and when I uncover the birds in the morning, I remove their food bowl and put in the veggie bowls. If your bird doesn´t eat after 20 minutes, remove the veggies and put the dry food back. If they start picking at the veggie bowl, leave it a little longer. I only leave veggies a max of one hour before returning all dry food and wiping out the cage.
This link is great for figuring out which foods to include, which are better than others etc and there´s also some tips down the bottom of the page: My Chop "Recipe"

I sprinkle herbs on the veggies. Like regular human herbs, not a fancy mix or anything like that. Dill is a good one to include. I keep them in a shaker and use a very little amount. I also picked up some dandelion recently which I have been including :)
Thank you! Will definitely try adding Dill to his veg!

Zazu351

Moving in
I don’t do any herbal mixes or supplements, but with veggies and chop the magic trick is to just keep trying. I found out a few days ago my birds are crazy about radishes! Every once in awhile they’ll take to something on the first try but most of the times they fling it everywhere and then grumble about their empty food bowls :lol: Definitely try a variety of presentations; diced, sliced, shredded, skewered, etc. for me sprinkling seeds over chop done in the food processor is usually the most successful. Just don’t focus on what you throw away because birds are messy and very little actually seems to make it into their bodies ;)
Yeah I tried mixing the seeds into the chop! Then i just see bits of veggies flying as he shakes it off his seeds

Thank you so much!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yeah I tried mixing the seeds into the chop! Then i just see bits of veggies flying as he shakes it off his seeds
That is good. It will get him used to the taste of the veggies ;)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Don´t be disheartened by the flinging because mine still do it even the ones that eat a lot of veggies. It must be good fun :lol:

Zazu351

Moving in
Don´t be disheartened by the flinging because mine still do it even the ones that eat a lot of veggies. It must be good fun :lol:
Must be cute once you know they are getting the proper nutrients! But i’ll def Keep trying!! Thanks a lot!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
For sure keep trying. Four of mine are good eaters and the other two are picky mickeys. So even I struggle with food for those two. If you want to talk about it, successes failures observations, we're all here to listen and converse :)

Zazu351

Moving in
For sure keep trying. Four of mine are good eaters and the other two are picky mickeys. So even I struggle with food for those two. If you want to talk about it, successes failures observations, we're all here to listen and converse :)
I appreciate it so much! I feel much less anxious about everything now!

Zazu351

Moving in
Another question, this is a picture of my bubba Zazu about a week and a half ago. The black on his beak is now starting to fade nicely. I have no idea what his parents look like- just that his 2 siblings look exactly like him.

Does he stay this green? Is there a chance that he might get some colour? I just haven’t seen many plain green Lovies in any of our petshops. Wouldn’t mind if he stayed green- but i am curious

Last edited by a moderator:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Ooooh what a cutie!!!! :cloud9:

He will get a little more colour when his first moult hits in a few months. I don´t know how much more, but at least a little more :)

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Cute baby! Always takes time for them to eat fruits and veggies. Lots will be wasted until they decide to eat it. Mine takes took a few months to try a piece of apple. Try sprouting some seed.

Zazu351

Moving in
Ooooh what a cutie!!!! :cloud9:

He will get a little more colour when his first moult hits in a few months. I don´t know how much more, but at least a little more :)
Can’t even imagine him getting cuter:heart:
Thanks a lot!