• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebirds’ gender mystery

Connie&ivy

Moving in
I got two beautiful lovebirds(Connie and ivy) about 8 months ago and I am unaware of their gender and dna testing can be quite expensive so I can’t use that option. Both of them have regurgitated and fed each other, Connie more than ivy and the preen each other regularly too. In the past I have seen Connie trying to mate(climbing on the back and also making clicking sounds)with ivy. However ivy seems to find this annoying and always moves away. I even saw ivy trying to get on top of Connie however that was only once and most of the time it’s Connie who tries to get on top of ivy and ivy just runs away. I’m extremely confused and need help to kind of guess their gender.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Sounds like they could be same sex.

The only way to know 100% is a DNA test (or an egg for female birds).

If you can handle the birds, you could check pelvic bones but this is not an accurate way to sex a lovebird, it´s just going to give you a better guess than blind guessing.
malefemale.jpg
Even though you might not know if the first bird you check is male or female (though the diagram is pretty accurate), you can compare that to the second, if they are the same you potentially have same sex birds, if it is different (bones wider or closer) then you potentially have a m/f pair.

Connie&ivy

Moving in
Yeah they won’t let me handle them as they were adults when I got them so they’re taking a long time to warm up to me. Thank you for the reply

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you know their mutations and parents mutations? Some lovebirds can be sexed that way, not many, but some can.

If not then, you will have to wait for eggs, or lack of (though I know there´s a member here with a DNA tested female and she´s never laid any eggs and is a few years old now.)

Connie&ivy

Moving in
This is what they both look like I’m not really that well informed about their mutations

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Neither of them visually have sex-linked mutations, but as @Zara said, if you know the mutations of their parents, that could help. Specifically if either of them has a lutino or creamino father.