• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird without toes

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Oh my lord, I thought they were abit odd considering other lovebirds I saw. How stupid of me!

So what do I need to know about Linnies?

She is very scared of me, I don't think I should handle her if I don't necessarily have to, for now.

How warm does the water need to be?
Sorry, I didn't see this about bathing until now. Linnies famously love to be sprayed with a water bottle. Fine mist, of course, and slightly warm water. Usually, they will hang upside down and open their wings, but not sure how Pinky will do it. She may just open her wings while sitting. One of my linnies will sometimes jam himself in between a torn up seagrass mat and a platform perch, and let me mist him that way.

Ryanne

Sitting on the front steps
The site I linked is where I got hers from. They have an online store in Belgium. The shipping is quick, less than a week to arrive.
OH yes, it's in the French section but I am sure they will ship to the Dutch part aswell :) I'll order that one!

I'll try spray her tomorrow, she did clean herself already a little bit (not sure if she's been in the bowl) but I think it's all abit much. She looks stressed...

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello! I have a green Linnie like your girl. I think you've gotten great advice from forum members with disabled birds. I agree that a low and wide cage is your best bet, 1/2" bars, by herself, filled with soft stuff and food nearby. Linnies have big poops so that is going to be a challenge for you, keeping her clean. Linnies often do like to be misted with warm water as others have said. Come over and read the Linnie information on Linnie Landing. If your girl seems shy, take care not to try to touch her too much. Linnies are often hand shy even when well socialized. Keep your hands down and away, then sit with her, close, talk and be sweet. That may help reduce her fears.

Ryanne

Thank you for the information Dona! I will look around on the Linnie Landing for more info on feeding and housing a Linnie, since I realized she is getting Lovie food now.

I will post an update here when her new home arrives and I will also try to take a picture of her "legs" and post it here. This morning she looked a little more happy in her new surroundings!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure what is available to you outside the US, but I feed Gigi Roudybush mini pellets, along with a Nutri-berry and mixed veggies.

We look forward to your updates! I'm happy she seems a little happier today!

Ryanne

Unfortunately this morning I found Pinky dead :(

I worked really long hours yesterday so when I finally came home she was already asleep. My husband said she hadn't been climbing a lot yesterday...

I called my brother in law and he just said multiple birds of the flock have died already :( do I need to worry about the other two? Could they have some kind of virus?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m terribly sorry for your loss ❤

If multiple birds are dying, then it would seem there is some sort of infection or illness. Maybe even they were exposed to something/ingested something before you brought the birds home.

This is why a vet is extremely important as you need them to run tests. Have a good search online, call the local vet and ask them if they can help locate a vet that can help you run some tests to check your birds health. It may be that you have to travel far, even some of the American AA members have to travel a very long way to get to the vet.

If you can put Pinky in the fridge until you get to the vet, they should be able to perform a necropsy if you can get there soon. It could give you answers and closure.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no, I'm so sorry.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry for your loss of poor Pinky, and I hope the other birds will be okay.
:sadhug2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am only sorry for your loss.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am very sorry fot your loss

Ryanne

Thank you for all your kind replies. Even though I only had Pinky for a short time it still hurts. I also needed to cancel the cage I bought for her, I was very looking forward to take care of her.... RIP Pinky! :(

My brother in law is going to take the other two birds to a bird vet (together with his own). But yesterday and today they seemed OK luckily.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Even though I only had Pinky for a short time it still hurts
I think this is a normal reaction from someone with a caring heart.
It´s really tough to experience the loss, no matter the time together. Me and my boyfriend were really upset when we lost a 2 day old chick at christmas, they didn´t even have a personality, but we were gutted. And when I went to the hospital recently to check in on the injured bird I found in the street, only to be told they didn´t make it, I was devastated, like you I had made plans ready to bring this bird into our home and join the family.
It is a really sad experience, just know that it wasn´t meant to be and their passing wasn´t your fault. They were comfortable for their time with you, and that´s what counts ❤

My brother in law is going to take the other two birds to a bird vet (together with his own)
A very wise thing to do at this point.
If you have Pinky still, maybe he could take her in a shoebox?
I hope the others are all ok ❤