• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

lovebird with nerve damaged leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so sorry :hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I am so sorry!
I would get a nacrospy done on her to find out what happened...
:hug8:
welp put her to bed, everything seemed alright, then at around midnight I heard a little flopping from the other room, then my cockateil started freaking out, came in and Beeps had crawled out of the hut and looked like she was gasping for air for a few minutes, then put her head down and had a little seizer and died.

Now what do I do?

Plus she has a "mate" that she spends the day time with... they do almost everything together. This is horrible.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I am so very sorry. I would also suggest getting a Necropsy done. :hug5:

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
So sorry for your loss. :(

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I'm soo sorry.. :hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I agree with the others to get a necropsy done. You need to put her in a plastic bag and in the freezer to preserve her for the procedure.

Her mate is going to grieve for a while of course. Spend a little extra time and give him some special attention.

I'm so sorry this happened.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am sorry for your loss.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I'm so sorry for your loss:sad3:
Her mate will mourn and grieve, just make sure he gets some extra attention. :hug8:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Sorry John you don't put a bird in the freezer the ice crystals that build up will cause deterioration of the body. Jankins13 you can put the little guy in the refridgerator though without any damage.

But do get a necropsy done since you have other birds.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
So very sorry for your loss! :hug8:Fly free little one. i hope you find out what caused this to happen.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Matt

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sorry John you don't put a bird in the freezer the ice crystals that build up will cause deterioration of the body. Jankins13 you can put the little guy in the refridgerator though without any damage.

But do get a necropsy done since you have other birds.
Ooops, your right. My bad. :)

LittleBirdie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Connie
welp put her to bed, everything seemed alright, then at around midnight I heard a little flopping from the other room, then my cockateil started freaking out, came in and Beeps had crawled out of the hut and looked like she was gasping for air for a few minutes, then put her head down and had a little seizer and died.

Now what do I do?

Plus she has a "mate" that she spends the day time with... they do almost everything together. This is horrible.
Jankins13, I'm so sorry to hear the sad news of the loss of your lovebird.
:sad7:

jankins13

Moving in
Unfortunately I didn't put her in the fridge over night, I didn’t even really think about it, I guess I was hoping she wasn’t really dead, and the cost for a full necropsy at a lab was $350, or a “gross” necropsy was only $150, but the Dr. said that she probably decayed too much to tell anything other than if she really did have an egg bound or not. I decided just to bury her, and I know deep down that Beeps would have wanted me to save that $150 and spend it on the other birds if anything else. She was a very thrifty bird.

It is kind of bothering me now though, as I do wonder if she did have egg binding. The reason I think she is a “she” is because she is fairly aggressive and always does the “wing dance”. She has actually been doing the dance a lot the last few days before this happened. The Dr. felt all around and didn’t notice anything and since she only had one leg out at the time egg binding wasn’t brought up. Now that I think about it and with the time of year and everything….

I actually have a few questions,

Would egg binding cause seizers?

Would it kill them in 2 days?

I know that anything is possible, I am just wondering if these are common symptoms.

I still can’t believe Beeps is gone, I wish I would have known all this from the start and I would have had an x-ray to begin with. I guess all I can do now is learn from it, it just sucks that she had to die.

Last edited:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I'm not sure on a seizure

but yes egg binding can kill them quickly, specially if the egg broke inside of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.