• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird with lump? Tumour?Xanthomas? (sad update #19)

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. Am posting this in hope of getting some advice from fellow birds owner.

2weeks ago, I discovered that my lovebird is unable to use her right toe. She seemed to have lost control of her right toe and it became lame.
I rushed her to the vet the next day, without doing any x-ray or CT scan which the avian vet does not suggest because she is too small and she says that they cannot see anything even from the x-ray. She suspects that she might have an ovarian tumor and gave us anti-inflammation meloxicam.
I was devastated, but slowly accepting this and try to keep her as comfortable as possible, thinking she will still have a few months to go.

Today, I realized that there a protruding lump coming from in between the wings. The lump is red with a slight pinch of yellow. I gave the vet a call and send her the photos. She says it seemed to be the lump/tumor instead of xanthomas.
Tomorrow we will be visiting the vet again.

Is there any cure for this? Will she die from surgery? If we didn't have surgery, she would die too right?

Otherwise, she is still active, eating well, pooping well, playing well, just that her toe are lame and it is rather inconvenient.

Anyone with similar situation? Any advice?

Thank you all for your time. I am devastated.

Attachments

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello Ashley, I am so sorry you are going through this.
I do not have any answers to your questions but I will tag some members who may know.

@Hankmacaw @enigma731 @finchly

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Thank you for your kindness.

I did some research, it seemed like she is having kidney tumor.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so sorry. :sadhug: I had a bird die from what I’m sure was stress/complications from trying to biopsy and remove something very like this. It gets dicey on such small birds, especially if she’s older. You may end up having to just keep her comfortable before saying goodbye.:sad6:

Did they want to try anything, or no? Just be aware that if you go the surgery route, you could lose her right away. BUT there is a chance she might survive surgery...depending on how old she is, healthy/strong she is, and how good the surgeon is. They’d need to be quick, do as little damage/blood loss as possible, etc. Then you’d need to keep her from messing with it (probably a collar) and keep her in a nice warm hospital cage - at least for a few days.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Your vet will be able to give you the best answer - I wish I could help. Something seems to be pressing on a nerve making her toe not work right.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hankmacaw is right...it’s affecting the nerves, so it will be even more difficult for them to remove. I’m sorry you’re being faced with these difficult decisions. :(

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Thank you for all your reply. The previous we went, the vet thought it was ovarian cancer and she suggests that we do not do surgery cause she is so small.
Tomorrow we are going to the vet again, lets see what the vet advise, though I think it is gonna be the same.
She is 10 this year.

One thing, she seemed to put on weight real fast (due to that tumor). I wondered how long can she last...

@fluffypoptarts how long did you discover your bird having such a tumor before deciding to let her go for surgery?

Thank you for all your kindness

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I sort of wonder if that may be a lump associated with her preen gland, given the location.

As far as surgery, if the vet is willing, you could always try and have them not wake her up if she isn't going to survive. I know it's not exactly the same but I just adopted a cockatiel who had a wing amputated due to cancer. Sometimes treatment is possible.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for all your reply. The previous we went, the vet thought it was ovarian cancer and she suggests that we do not do surgery cause she is so small.
Tomorrow we are going to the vet again, lets see what the vet advise, though I think it is gonna be the same.
She is 10 this year.

One thing, she seemed to put on weight real fast (due to that tumor). I wondered how long can she last...

@fluffypoptarts how long did you discover your bird having such a tumor before deciding to let her go for surgery?

Thank you for all your kindness
With yours being 10, she’s definitely a senior birdy. Mine had just turned 12. The difference is that his lump wasn’t completely solid like yours looks to be (it is solid, right?), so we were able to keep draining the fluid off and his back/rump would be much smoother and flatter. It was in the same location, so it may very well be involving the preen gland like enigma731 has said. We did this for a few months after I discovered the lump before I took him to the second vet for the biopsy and removal.

Not saying this is the right thing for your girl, but for mine, I wish I had stayed with the less radical course, because he was still his active, healthy little self and wasn’t showing any signs of pain or discomfort. It would’ve given me more time with him. But who knows how long.

Also, his did not affect his mobility in the least. So that’s something else to consider for your girl. Keep an eye on her quality of life, whether the tumor is affecting her ability to pass waste/eliminate, etc. I had a parakeet years ago that had a tumor that had started to affect her mobility, and when I saw her straining to poo, I knew that was it. Couldn’t keep her from the rainbow bridge any longer.

A lot of things to watch for and consider here with your girl. I would take some peaceful alone time for yourself to really think on and decide which route you want to go. This is one of the hardest things to face with our feathered (and other) companions.:darkcloud:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for your kind words...

Yes, the lump on her back is solid. We are visiting the vet tmr, I will mention the preen gland to her and see what she advises.

Thank you @fluffypoptarts for sharing. I will updates again tmr after the vet visit.
You’re welcome. I wish it were more positive/encouraging. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for your little girl.

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi there, just an update.

We went to the vet and the vet told us that the tumor is too big (approx 1.5cm) and the vet is unable to pull back the skin together if she were to undergo surgery to remove it.

Also, the vet mentioned that what she is more concerned about is the inside. She said since the growth is able to cause the toe to become lame, she is worried that there is something inside.

The vet said that it is not a kidney tumor, because kidney tumor is internal, it will not penetrate through the skin.

She said it might be the preen gland lump but usually, the lump is small in size and doesn't grow that fast. (We went to the vet 2 weeks ago with lameness in the toe, there was no lump at all.)

She feels that the lump will continue to grow and the skin will tear and bleed (which is already happening), and what we can do is just to keep the wound clean, apply the gel.

She prescribed antibiotics and pain killer and ask me to give her whenever I feel that she is in pain... It seemed like the vet has prepared for the worse... and we are just keeping her as comfortable as we can.

Btw, would anyone know if I can apply iodine on her tumor wound to prevent infection? I heard that iodine will not cause the wound to sting. I am just afraid when she preens herself, she might ingest the iodine, and will it causes any harm?

I actually found a link that shows a tumor in lovebird when I am doing research on what is happening to her. The lovebird in the link shows the exact same tumor as my girl. But the site doesn't say what tumor is that.

Just sharing, in case anyone has any idea ><

Thank you for all your kind words.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am so sorry that this is the outcome :(
Spend as much time with your bird as you can, enjoy the time you have together and be there or her :sadhug:

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
thank you for your kind words...

I kept telling myself that she is old and I should be glad that she stay healthy without any big issues throughout her entire life. On the other hand, I am like if she doesn't have this tumor, she could continue for quite a long time...
I took photos and videos of her everyday because I am afraid one day I couldn't anymore.

I hope that she still has quite some time... she still has a mate with her...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Thank you for recommending this. Sorry for the late reply as I couldn't function well...
I can't find this in my local pet store, I got the other bottle that read NATURAL PET SILVERGIENE MULTI-PURPOSE SOLUTION, which states antimicrobial, wound healing.
I was wondering how to clean the wound for her? Because the tumor had gone bigger than what it is and stretching her skin, so she bleeds every now and then.
There is black dry blood on the wound and I will spray this on her wound and let it dry. I don't dare to wipe the dry blood as it will tear the skin and she will bleed again.
After spraying that and letting it dry, I will apply the gel that I got it from the vet for her.

Is the procedure correct? Spraying in on the wound and letting it dry by itself.

Thank you for all your kind words.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so sorry - I know this is such a painful, stressful time. :sadhug:

Aside from lightly trying to dab/clean with a q-tip, you may need the vet’s assistance with more involved periodic cleanings of the wound because of the situation. They will also be able to keep tabs on her condition that way and make sure her wound isn’t getting infected. I think spraying it and letting it dry when you’re not trying to clean it is all you can do (aside from applying the gel).

ashley0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Thank you for all your help and kind words. She passes away on 6 Aug, exactly one month from the day when her leg went lame.
I think she isn't hurting as she is eating all along.
Her last night she ate banana and some bread before going to bed.
In the morning when I feed her favorite banana, she doesn't want it anymore.
I fed her some birdy milk and put her back in her cage.
She seemed very tired and unable to stand still, so I carried her and placed her in a position whereby she can sit properly and her mate beside her. She passed slowly in that position when I was not looking.
When I realized that she passed away. She is still in that position where I placed her.
Not sure why but she is stiff although she just passed as she is still warm.

Once again, thank you for all your kind words.
I cremated her yesterday and brought her home.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
I'm so sorry.