• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird vs p'let?

ItsAmandaYall

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Amanda
I know both can be nippy and territorial, but is one better than the other? Imo lovebirds are cuter, but not so keen on their shrill chirp, but worried about a p'let being too feisty for me. Is one more cuddlier than the other? or more interactive? I'm looking for a cuddly, interactive, clownish/entertaining, fine sitting on my shoulder/preening bird. Does that fit in the lovebird description? Thanks for your help. (Yes I posted this in p'let forum too, thought it'd get more thoughts than just on one side)

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Well I am partial to the P'let. Bodie and I have been together for 14 years. Yes at times he can be nippy but only because I did not read his body language and sometimes he can be a real sweetie pie . I would not trade him for anything. Of course he is the only bird and animal in the house so he is top bird all the time! I have never lived with a Lovebird but I bet their bite is a lot bigger! Bodie is interactive, clownish, and loves to hang with me and preen and nap and then times when he plays by himself. He even comes to find me. He is fully flighted also. Hope that helps.

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I've had both lovebirds and p'lets. Personally I prefer the lovebirds. The lovebirds are less vocal and seem to enjoy being on you more than our p'lets did.
Mitzi

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
I'm looking for a cuddly, interactive, clownish/entertaining, fine sitting on my shoulder/preening bird. Does that fit in the lovebird description?
Well that pretty much desribes my LB, Topaz, to a T. :) Although he also likes to go zooming around, too (he's fully flighted). If you go the lovebird route, I highly suggest getting a male as they tend to stay sweeter than the hens. Also, when I got Topaz, there were a bunch of baby lovebirds to choose from, and he actually pretty much chose me. :D

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I agree with Mitzi, I prefer my Lovebirds over my P'lets. My P'lets can be sweet, but they can suddenly turn on me in a second. lol I trust my Lovebirds 100%. My hens are even sweeter than the males, so don't buy into the males are sweeter story. I also agree that the P'lets are louder and nosier. Well, the male is...not the hen.

Nectar

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elizabeth
I find both species can make amazing pets but I side with lovebirds because they come in so many different species and colors. If you can find a breeder I would highly suggest Abyssinian or Nyasa lovebirds, they don't make as much noise as a regular lovebird or parrotlet. Abyssinain lovebirds need a higher diet in fat than most species so figs and sunflower seeds are enjoyed by them. They are also SUPER DUPER cuddly. :D

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I obviously prefer lovies. I originally had a pair as my first birds and they were awesome. Neither of my current lovies are very cuddly at all tho, Bubbles REALLY likes to be around you but he's really not a fan of being cuddled but I think this has more to do with him having a fear of hands and such. He darts around my house like a wild banchi tho....

Nicole726

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole
My lovie is a people person. She loves cuddles and attention. She can be nippy but all it is is a loving pinch to tell me she doesnt want to go back in her cage (never very hard) She does chirp loudly next to my ear and in her cage when she wants out, but she is basically a quiet birdy. She is always getting into everything tho because everything I have is automatically hers lol. I love my lovie.