• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird Travel Cage

cherrytea

Sitting on the front steps
Hello everyone! Im looking for a new travel cage for Pekoe.

We do some light travelling (1 hour drive to visit parents for the weekend) but could be taking longer road trips in the future. We have a "small pets" carrier that was perfect for when Pekoe was a baby, but now its a bit tight on the headroom. There also isn't space for a dish (not a big concern, but it would be nice to have her "we're on a trip" millet off the ground/away from poop).

I am torn between a larger wire travel cage (like the Prevue collapsible cage) or something like an airplane-approved cat carrier. Pekoe likes to have a view (rather than a dark, covered travel cave). Are birds more comfortable travelling on a perch? Is a big solid cat carrier safer or too big for a little bird?

[A photo of Pekoe as "fluff tax" for your time.]

Attachments

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
I just bought a small cage from cheap shop for traveling, my birds are very much like yours they like to see whats going on. So put it in front seat and secure it with seatbelt. Bird my teil was talking up a storm in drive through at maccas last time he had to go somewhere. I wanted coffee, he wanted to get to know the check out chick

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I have the prevue collapsible cage, and I would recommend it. What is the largest bar spacing a lovie can have? It says 3/4ths on the website but it is closer to 5/8ths.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I use a small size animal carrier, which works fine. I do notice that if I don't cover the sides, they try to cling to the circular openings on the side to peer out. This isn't really a big issue. Otherwise they sit on the perch/perches just fine (although Luna prefers to be on my fingers if I stick them through the door, because she's a cutie who loves her mama too much). The best set up we've had for my two has been a branch perch and small sized rope perch in the one carrier, with two food bowls. Longest travel has been probably an hour.

cherrytea

Sitting on the front steps
Hahahaha Luna sounds like Pekoe.

Ive ordered the small Pervue... in the end I figured it would do double duty and allow Pekoe to sit with us out on the porch, now that the weather has turned. A carrier wouldn't offer much of a view.

Thanks everyone!

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
my 2 lovies came all the way from oregon to detroit in a small cat carrier he had put netting on the slotted openings and the front he also put a perch in it they did very well