• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Lovebird toe necrosis progressing (Sad update #81)

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Final update: After nearly 6 months of fighting, Mango passed quietly in his sleep following surgery today.

The tissue never did heal over the bones sticking out of his 2 remaining toes. She wanted to wait for his scabs to heal before attempting to perform another surgery. Rather than a week or two, it took 3 months. He spent those months unbandaged, but collared, and in a room separate from Peaches after Peach kept removing Mango's collar and "helping" with his foot.

He bonded more strongly to me in that time than I ever expected - spending every moment outside of his cage cuddled up to me, kissing and preening my hair. He was happy, healthy, and playful with no further complications but extremely slow healing. When his scabs were gone, I scheduled his surgery.

The vet did a pre-op health screening and concluded that he was healthy, strong, and fit. About 2 minutes before she finished the final suture, his heart stopped. She was able to resuscitate him and got him completely off of anesthesia to 100% oxygen. 3 minutes later, his heart stopped again and could not be revived. I picked him up an hour later and said teary goodbyes. He is resting under our pine tree, wrapped in his favorite of my button-up shirts.

Peach realized what happened this evening when his bedtime contact calls went unanswered. He spent the last 30 minutes perched nearby me, staring silently and shaking. He refused to come to me or interact, so I left him alone to mourn before the lights cut out. I think the morning will prove hard on us both.

Thank you all for your advice, help, and moral support the past 6 months.
20170808_164026-1.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m so terribly sad and sorry to hear of your loss :sorrow:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Oh, im so sorry but you did everything you could and it sounds like bad luck. He knew he was loved and loved you back :sadhug:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss :sadhug:

I will keep you and Peach in my thoughts today

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm terribly sorry that you lost Mango. He will live forever in your heart.

Fly high and free forever little Mango.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no! I’m so very sorry for your loss of Mango.:sorrow: My heart aches for you and Peach, and I’m sending big hugs to you both. :sadhug2: