• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lovebird stepped on - awkward maybe broken wing?

mairin

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
mairin
Hello, I am new to this site but I need some help on what to do next with my 3 yro lovebird who my sister accidentally slightly stepped on this morning. Right after she was stepped on I noticed her leg was awkward and she could barely hold herself up. We took her to the vet but the exotic doctor was unfortunately not in, so we made an appointment for tomorrow morning. Coming home her leg was better but her wing seems inoperable. She is not responding to other lovebird chirps like she usually does, she's tired, and she cannot chirp correctly, it sounds very shallow and scratchy. She is also breathing very quickly. What can I do to lessen her pain and make sure she eats/drinks enough to stick out til we bring her to the vet? I'm very concerned due to her size and I really love her. I will try to answer any questions

Attachments

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh dear bless her heart she doesn't look well. I'd really urge you if at all possible to try to find an emergency vet or another clinic that could help you. She may very well have internal injuries in addition to possibly broken bones. If you can't find help I'd put her in the smallest cage or tub possible with no perches and soft bedding and try to make her food as soft and mushy as possible to entice her to eat. I'm so sorry this has happened to her.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes I would keep her in a small carrier, somewhere warm so she doesn't have to worry about keeping her temperature up.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
A small carrier with no perches in it is best. Do not let her climb until you know how severe the injuries are.

I would seek an emergency vet immediately, there isn’t anything you can give her at home for pain control that would be safe for her

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Everyone has given yiu good advice.
Keep your baby quite in the cage with no perches and offer favorite foods and treats. Rest and recover until Avian veterinarian. If trouble breathing then emergency vet for oxygen cage

mairin

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
mairin
Hi all, we took her to the vet and he reported that her wing isn't broken but she is in a bit of pain. She has regained her appetite and I will continue to monitor her because she is still tired yet very curious as ever.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a relief that her wing isn't broken. Glad she's willing to eat,i hope she continues to improve.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Good news! Thanks for the update! Hopefully in a few days bsck to herself