• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lovebird Spitting up White Foam in Morning

Csolis22

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Constanza
Hi my lovie is 5 years old and she’s been acting normal but since yesterday in the morning she has been spitting up white foam. She’s known for regurgitating all the time on her toys but always food. i took her to the vet and they did blood work and an x ray and here are the photos 9339A7FD-CDF9-4301-8EDF-D6E83DC1A939.jpeg AA85E872-39B8-44AC-9BC5-153104AAF561.jpeg 9C3D7D7E-92B6-40BE-A893-F543314E857E.jpeg 2D79935D-301D-4F40-AE5D-04C2193D8D6D.jpeg

the vet said her belly seemed to be full of gas and she needs to digest that little lump. so he sent me home with antibiotics and laxatives. today she did the foam thing again. he said her blood work came back perfect so he’s not sure what it could be but that it seems bahavioral. any advice?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have never seen a bird foam at the mouth. The only thing I can think of is a toxin of some sort. I cannot imagine it being behavioral.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I second hankmacaw, I can’t fathom it being behavioral. Did the vet thoroughly check the inside of the mouth for any potential causes of soft tissue infection or send out any swabs? Sometimes when it’s isolated to the mouth or nares it doesn’t pop up on the bloodwork.

Csolis22

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Constanza
I second hankmacaw, I can’t fathom it being behavioral. Did the vet thoroughly check the inside of the mouth for any potential causes of soft tissue infection or send out any swabs? Sometimes when it’s isolated to the mouth or nares it doesn’t pop up on the bloodwork.
well it’s been something she regurgitates out and then she just lets it stay on her beak and then eats it. when he saw her it was gone because she ate it, i don’t know what exactly it could be

Csolis22

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Constanza
I have never seen a bird foam at the mouth. The only thing I can think of is a toxin of some sort. I cannot imagine it being behavioral.
it’s like this milky bubbly substance that she spits up in the morning, she does the regurgitating motion and this is what comes out and then she’ll just eat it and do it again /:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Is that something that's normally in the stomach? Seems a bit excessive. Did they ever get a sample of it to see if there is yeast or some sort of pathogen/ infection in it? Can you get a sample & put it in saran wrap or something & refrigerate?

I really have no idea but don't think its normal. Still if she is not vomiting it but regurgitating it...don't know but
I hope they can find the cause of it & resolve it.

I'd be concerned of some stomach problem.