• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird scratching

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
My Personatus lovebird has been slowly drawing a claw over his/her face. I think this lovebird is around 4 months old but i don't know the gender. No avian vet nearby. His/her claw moves over the eye or at the top/side of the beak. I can't work out what he/she is doing. No YouTube here in China so i cannot post a video. Any ideas? Screenshot_20220913_200459.jpg Screenshot_20220913_200905.jpg

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Does she look relaxed while doing it? It sounds like she’s just giving herself scratches, which many birds do. She’s very cute!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:lol: That second pic! Oh yea that´s the spot lol! Sometimes mine will do the quick scratches, but other times they are chilling on a perch and will scratch slowly alwost like a scritchy massage around the ears eyes and head.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Aww that second pic :heart:

All my birds do this none are lovebirds though.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
(S)he doesn't seem relaxed and is doing it very frequently and for long periods of time. I have only had her a few days... she was hand-raised and seems to have been handed around a lot. I have given her some space... but also offered her some opportunities to come out in a safe area. She was clipped by the breeder and is unflighted. She likes sunflower seeds by hand... she was snatching them but kept missing and biting my hand so i have trained her (by only giving seeds for non-snatches) and now she takes them more slowly. Still worried about these extended scratching sessions though

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have only had her a few days...
When acquiring a new bird, it is always recommended to take them to the vet for a wellness check to be sure they are illness/disease free. So I would make an appointment and have her looked at to give you some peace of mind.