• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird Regurgitating or Vomiting

Csolis22

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Constanza
Hello,
I have a 4 year old lovie she is a female and I keep her by herself.
Lately she’s been enamored with her toys and she’s been hanging on them all day and screaming at them nonstop but yesterday.
She hasn’t left her food bowl and keeps eating her pellets all day and getting angry if they’re gone.
I took her to the vet two weeks ago for a full check up with blood exam and all and the vet said she was perfect. That it’s very likely hormonal.
Yesterday she had been bobbing her head and regurgitating but by today she had dry food on her head area, and it was spiky.
Her beak however and cage were clean.
She’s otherwise being extremely normal but I’m still concerned.
I washed her head today and I’m going to see if it happens again but I did remove her toys. What should I do?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Vomiting is when a bird slings its head around while bringing up the food and it gets all over the place since the cage was clean your Bird is being hormonal is in oh toys or just one then it regurgitates on

Csolis22

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Constanza
Vomiting is when a bird slings its head around while bringing up the food and it gets all over the place since the cage was clean your Bird is being hormonal is in oh toys or just one then it regurgitates on
It’s basically everything in her cage, her toys and her calcium perch that she’s eaten half of. But I read online that with regurgitating she shouldn’t have a dirty head? Is this true?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She could have rubbed her head on it after she regurgitated. Regurgitated looks controlled- like she's forcing something up her throat. Vomiting is usually head shaking and goes everywhere. How many hours of sleep does she get? You can try bumping up her hours of sleep/darkness by 2 hours for 2 week to try to get her hormones back in in check (assuming it's regurgitation). It can trick them to thinking it's winter and not time to make babies.

Csolis22

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Constanza
She could have rubbed her head on it after she regurgitated. Regurgitated looks controlled- like she's forcing something up her throat. Vomiting is usually head shaking and goes everywhere. How many hours of sleep does she get? You can try bumping up her hours of sleep/darkness by 2 hours for 2 week to try to get her hormones back in in check (assuming it's regurgitation). It can trick them to thinking it's winter and not time to make babies.
I haven’t seen her head shaking which is why I’m so confused. I’m not too sure about how many hours because I’ll cover her and she will keep waking up at night to shuffle arounf or start eating so it’s hard to say. But since I already took her to the vet recent I feel bad stressing her again for more. Yesterday I tried putting her to bed at 5 and she still kept waking up to play or eat. It’s so confusing to me what I can do to keep her calm. And I have the fear that it’s vomiting too but I just don’t know

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I haven’t seen her head shaking which is why I’m so confused. I’m not too sure about how many hours because I’ll cover her and she will keep waking up at night to shuffle arounf or start eating so it’s hard to say. But since I already took her to the vet recent I feel bad stressing her again for more. Yesterday I tried putting her to bed at 5 and she still kept waking up to play or eat. It’s so confusing to me what I can do to keep her calm. And I have the fear that it’s vomiting too but I just don’t know
I think it's normal for them to wake up periodically- so it's really sleep/darkness. Do you cover her for bed? And 5 in the afternoon? That's really early....

Csolis22

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Constanza
I think it's normal for them to wake up periodically- so it's really sleep/darkness. Do you cover her for bed? And 5 in the afternoon? That's really early....
Yes I always cover her for bed; yes I put her to bed at that time because I wake up at 5am and that’s when I prepare her food and fresh water for the day and remove her cover, so I put her to bed a little earlier because of this.