• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird, Regurgitating or something else?

Munekun

Moving in
Hi, A few months ago I received a lovebird that was taken from a VERY abusive home, this poor girl was kept In a small cage In a young childs bedroom and was never let out or interacted with at all other than the kid poking at her from outside the cage. The cage was In such an awful state I could have cried when I finally got her home and got a good look at It, The water container was filled with a PASTE of feces It was a deep green color, I swear this cage hadn't been cleaned In MONTHS If not longer for It to look the way It did. After a vet check luckily [and surprisingly from the state of her only access to water] the only thing majorly wrong with her at the time was that she hasn't been fed properly so I immediately fixed that and and have gotten her used to certain fruits/vegetables but It's still an ongoing battle to get her to eat certain ones.

After having had her for a few months now, bare In mind this is my first ever experience with a lovebird, i'd only ever had budgies before her, She has recently started getting obsessed with what I THINK Is regurgitating to her toys, she does It quite a lot starting the past few weeks which i know can be normal but what worries me Is that I watched her closely today and I could see what looked like white thick.. not vomit but It looked sort of like cottage cheese to put It In a gross way,In her mouth, I didn't see seeds and haven't noticed her actually PLACING seeds on things she just makes the regurgitation motion but just re-swallows whatever It is that came up and It's been worrying me as I'm not sure If this is normal or not and as far as I can tell her droppings are normal.

One other thing to note Is she has only ever done this to her toys, she's NEVER done It randomly or out of nowhere, it's always while snuggling up to/ being friendly with her favorite toys. Am I just being overly worrysome and Is this just normal or could It be something worse?

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
could see what looked like white thick.. not vomit but It looked sort of like cottage cheese
Are there oat groats in her food? This could explain what you are seeing

Munekun

Moving in
Are there oat groats in her food? This could explain what you are seeing
I'm not entirely sure as I put the seeds In a sealed container so I no longer have the bag to read the ingredients but it is possible that it does. I'm assuming those wouldn't cause the regurgitating but maybe that is why it looks weird in her mouth as you said. I think I'm probably overreacting but just wanted to ask those who know more just in case.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello, Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

I´m very happy you were able to take this bird in and give them a better life. That´s a very good outcome at the vet, all things considered!

So the regurguitating is all sounding fine. Seeds, when eaten then brought back up are white. Like a slightly off-white, thick, paste. My youngest feeds his whale toy, and coats the thing in it which is gross. My eldest male brings up food in a similar way to your bird, in which he re-eats the food, and never places it anywhere on toys or anything like that.

Are you sure your bird is a female? I have seen my girls regurgitating, but it´s more common amongst the boys.