• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird randomly bites me...

ScaryBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
So about three weeks ago, I got my “male” peach faced lovebird. He is about 1 year old, and I believe he’s a lutino. Someone randomly messaged back from an inquiry I made way back in October, and asked if I wanted him. I of course thought “a little lovebird in need of a home? I can handle that.” Boy, was I wrong. He is a little devil. He has more energy than my sun conure and juvenile cockatiel combined. He’s also not very confident around hands. He’s bitten me more than both my sun conure and cockatiel combined as well. My major concern is that sometimes I’ll be laying on my bed and not doing anything, and he’ll slowly work his way up to my face, and bite around my mouth as hard as he can. I can’t really find anyone else with a similar experience, so I thought I’d post about it and ask for feedback. Can anyone figure out why he does this?

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I wouldn't lay on the bed, you can't see where he's at and can't react as quick as if you were sitting up. Also you know he's going to get by your face. He might think it's a game. Bite equals reaction.

ScaryBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
I wouldn't lay on the bed, you can't see where he's at and can't react as quick as if you were sitting up. Also you know he's going to get by your face. He might think it's a game. Bite equals reaction.
He does weirdly seem fond of being near my face for some reason. He also has an obsession with my sun conure, and my sun conure is a velcro bird. I’m sort of wondering if he’s not mad at me for getting her affection...

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Lovebirds are typically pretty aggressive, and this one is new to your home. I doubt he's experiencing jealousy after so little time with you. He could be scared and acting accordingly. I'd try to spend some time with him one on one and where you can see what he's up to and keep your hands to yourself for now. You'll want to try to figure out what seems to prompt the biting, like I said, he's probably scared, and having other birds I'm sure you know some of the oddest things freak them out. My conure hates bottles of all kinds and if I forget and pick one up while he's on me he bites really hard! So I try to avoid things that I know he doesn't like, even when I can't figure out why he hates it. And yes, lovebirds are very active birds, I have a female and she's always on the go. So if you know he bites your face, be mindful of how you let him hang out on you. I know it seems complicated, but they're all so different and you don't know his back story, so who knows what he went through. The best way to correct behavior is to avoid that behavior. If he's willing, you can try doing some target training with him to help build your relationship.

TrueBlue

Strolling the yard
My major concern is that sometimes I’ll be laying on my bed and not doing anything, and he’ll slowly work his way up to my face, and bite around my mouth as hard as he can. I can’t really find anyone else with a similar experience, so I thought I’d post about it and ask for feedback. Can anyone figure out why he does this?
My lovie is bonded with me and does the same thing but with my ears, and yes, probably thinks it's a game because of my reaction. I don't lay down often with him around, but when I do, he'll go straight for my ears like he's a bird possesed with the same demon as yours ;). So yes, it's probably best just to avoid it by not doing it when your lovie is around.

ScaryBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
Thank you all for the helpful input! I’ll work on the problem with him, and hopefully get him comfortable with hands as well. I know lovies aren’t the cuddliest of parrots, but I’d love to be able to give him a scratch every once in awhile. It also sort of makes sense if he is just doing it for fun. Small animals tend to like to nip larger animals. In fish world, tetras are known to fin nip larger fish like angelfish and bettas. I’ve also noticed smaller birds doing it to larger ones. Chihuahuas are also more nippy. I guess being small makes you more likely to nip.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
You may be surprised. With a lot of work and patience he may be more open to being touched. My lovebird looooves neck and cheek scritches now, but when I got her I thought she was going to be totally hands off. ;)

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
My lovebird loves to cuddle! It’s possible he also loves to nibble on ears. He is a rescue - I was told he was 3.5 when I picked him up... honestly I don’t think the pet store knew how old he was... they didn’t know his name.

Attachments

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Been there with my quaker. He was a bitey little booger when he came to my home (the biting is the reason he was rehomed, which I'd bet money is also the case with your bird). First few months, I always had a couple fresh scabs where he chomped me.

I couldn't really tell you when the biting stopped. It slowly reduced over time, a combination of me learning his triggers, specific training for scenarios where he was extra prone to biting (Step up off this chair? No problem. Step up off THAT identical chair a few feet over? That's a bite. Someone wants to go into the laundry room? That person must die), and him learning that being gentle was more rewarding than biting. He was three when I got him, so I'm sure part of the improvement is also that he was simply maturing.

I just kept reminding myself that you need the opportunity to be bad to learn to be good. Want a kid to have good manners in public? They'll only learn if you actually take them places. Same goes for your bird. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been largely confined to a cage because of the biting... but he'll never learn better if he's not allowed out.

Just hang in there. It will get better eventually. Gus sat on my forearm while I typed this, cool as a cucumber.

Last edited:

ScaryBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
Been there with my quaker. He was a bitey little booger when he came to my home (the biting is the reason he was rehomed, which I'd bet money is also the case with your bird). First few months, I always had a couple fresh scabs where he chomped me.

I couldn't really tell you when the biting stopped. It slowly reduced over time, a combination of me learning his triggers, specific training for scenarios where he was extra prone to biting (Step up off this chair? No problem. Step up off THAT identical chair a few feet over? That's a bite. Someone wants to go into the laundry room? That person must die), and him learning that being gentle was more rewarding than biting. He was three when I got him, so I'm sure part of the improvement is also that he was simply maturing.

I just kept reminding myself that you need the opportunity to be bad to learn to be good. Want a kid to have good manners in public? They'll only learn if you actually take them places. Same goes for your bird. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been largely confined to a cage because of the biting... but he'll never learn better if he's not allowed out.

Just hang in there. It will get better eventually. Gus sat on my forearm while I typed this, cool as a cucumber.
Oh, his biting doesn’t bother me that much. He’s out when all my other birds are out. I just find the behavior a bit strange.

Also, he’s for sure trying to court my sun conure. He’s regurgitating food and trying to give it to her. She gives him a firm “no thanks, tiny bird” peck, though.