• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird pushing eggs out of her tent - help?

lapis

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there! I'm new here :) We have a lovebird who just started laying (unfertilized) eggs for the first time this week. We are up to 2 eggs so far. She has one of those triangle fuzzy tents that is open at both ends, and after a few hours to a few days, she has pushed both eggs out of her tent accidentally by moving back and forth. :facepalm:

My understanding is that she'll lay 5-6 eggs in a clutch, and potentially keep on laying after that if she doesn't reach the right number of eggs. The goal is for her to stop laying after this clutch. So here are my questions:

1) I'm about to order some dummy eggs (thanks for the info in the dummy egg thread!). If she pushes these ones out of the tent too, can we just keep placing them back into the tent and that will be enough so she stops laying?
2) Should we get a nest box instead so at least she's sitting on the right number of dummy eggs and not knocking them to the floor of the cage?
3) Should we do the opposite and take out the tent? Then I'd be concerned about where she'll lay the rest of her clutch. Either way it's coming out when this clutch is done - lesson learned!

Thank you!!

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I would take out her tent, it may just encourage her to lay more eggs

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Take the tent out. Any eggs that are intact lay on a piece of kitchen paper in the corner of the bottom of the cage. Let her nest on them down there for a couple of weeks. Dummy eggs are handy for replacing broken eggs with lone hens.

Ultimately if your hen doesn't care about the eggs, you can remove them all once the clutch is laid and shes not been interested for a few days. My youngest never bothers brooding them, she just likes playing football with them so she gets dummys til the clutch is laid and then I always remove when the clutch is complete.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

lapis

Checking out the neighborhood
:loltears:playing football with them! I feel validated that Jupiter doesn't seem to care that she drops hers

Thanks for the advice! I'll try taking out the tent and setting up a spot in the bottom corner for her eggs, and hopefully it'll go more smoothly from there!

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
My youngest never bothers brooding them, she just likes playing football with them so she gets dummys til the clutch is laid and then I always remove when the clutch is complete.
Lol, this sounds like my budgie pair Percy and Hazel, anytime Hazel lays an egg, (usually in her food bowl) the next thing the two trouble makers do is both get into the bowl and scratch around madly for a while trying to throw the egg out and then once they've thrown it onto the grate of the cage (and most of the time cracked it) then they are fine and just go about whatever they were doing before. Neither of them show any interest in wanting to lay on them or anything, they just want to play with them.