• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird or Cockatiel?

• Lovebird

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Cockatiel

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bellovesbirds

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bel Hawkins
Hello! I'm very new to Avian Avenue, so if this isn't the correct place to ask this please inform me and I'll move it! So, about two years ago I decided I wanted a bird. And thankfully, I have done plenty of research on their care and what a huge commitment getting ANY bird is since then because I was ridiculously unprepared. And after two years, I finally feel prepared to take on a small bird! :loltears: My question to you is this: Lovebird or Cockatiel? I love both species and know the summaries of both of their general personalities and temperaments. I want to know you guy's personal experience with one or both of these birds. Despite the bird I decide to get, I plan on working with him every day and he will have a very large cage with lots of toys. Are Lovebirds truly as affectionate as I've read they are? Are Cockatiels? Is biting really a big issue with lovebirds, I've heard conflicting reports?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Cockatiels are fairly mellow and forgiving. Some people here with lovebirds will chime in with good information, my experience with them is limited... the one I had was very bitey. Therefore, I voted cockatiel.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Well if you post in the lovebird forum, we're all going to say lovebird! ;)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Lovebirds can be nippy, mine has mostly outgrown it but still does a little in a grooming capacity. She really isn't a snuggler, but there's never a dull moment! She's very playful and loves to spend time with me and can destroy a new toy in a shocking amount of time. My only con on lovebirds is that they tend to hate other birds of other species, and even sometimes other lovebirds. My Aoife's kind of a bully to my other birds. Every bird is different, but Aoife is a stereotypical female lovebird, she's sassy and bossy and hilarious! I have no experience with cockatiels, all I know is they're dusty. No matter what you decide everyone here will help with training (both you and the bird!) and any advice. Have you spent any time with either species, like at a shop or rescue?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Oh and stubborn, mustn't forget stubborn!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I’d choose a cockatiel over a lovebird any day!
They are small cackatoos, but so nice and mellow! Ofcourse every bird is different, but over the whole they are very nice birds, and easy for beginners :)

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
Lovebirds tend to be more nippish and will not hesitate to bite if they think they have been wronged, that said a lovebird that has a true bond with you is the sweetest little companion. I don't have any personal experience with cockateils but I've heard their great beginner birds. A teil would have been my first choice for a bird but I fell in love with a peach-faced lovebird instead, and I wouldn't change anything now. Anyway, it all depends on that particular bird! Some lovebirds are super calm and mellow and some teils are really fiesty. Good luck finding the perfect little companion!:)

Cloud

Strolling the yard
Such a hard decision to make! I was on the same spot before!:lol: I am not sure if cockatiels tend to have night fright more or not. Since I only have cockatiels, I can't confirm. But my whiteface fallow cockatiel seems to have more night fright than my cinnamon cockatiel. I assumed that because he seems to be the only one who hurt his wings and lost feathers from night frights. He has red eyes, I don't know if it has anything to do with it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Keep in mind every bird is different. So when we talk generally about species it doesn't mean a particular bird will be that way. Are all tiels cuddley? No. Do all lovies bite? No. I think ideally if you can meet some birds that's the best way to decide. One of the things I like about adopting a bird from a rescue is hopefully that rescue will have an idea of that bird's personality and be able to tell you what the bird is like.

That said, I think both birds make wonderful companions. I am definitely a cockatiel person but have fostered a lovie and have enjoyed him. I have owned a cockatiel and am currently fostering a tiel. Tiels in general are very laid back birds. The chance of a tiel biting you is slim (but can happen). Males can be good whistlers. My male 'tiel was very affectionate and wanted to be touching me at all times. Seriously. Not just near me- some part of him had to touch me. My foster tiel so far does not want touched at all. But it's been only a month or so. So, we'll see. Female tiels are known to be more cuddly than males generally. My tiel wasn't big on "playing" but enjoyed being part of whatever I was doing. I'm still getting to know my foster 'tiel but I will say he is the easiest bird I have ever had to take care of.

I also have fostered a lovie. He was very playful and feisty. Completely adorable and loved to eat all kinds of vegetables and fruit. (It's more challenging with my 'tiels to get them to eat healthy.) My lovie did come from a not so great situation and he was pretty cage territorial which resulted in me getting bit pretty often. But I really think we would have overcome that given more time. He was still getting used to me when he got adopted.

So, really I think it's more of a question as to what type of bird you feel more connected to. Lovies, to me, are more big birds in a little birds' bodies. Cockatiels are probably the calmest of all the parrot species. So really different personalities between the two.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Welcome to the forum!

It's all been said, but don't forget that birds are intelligent creatures. That means that personalities have to click in order to create a bond. If I could do it all over again I would visiting a rescue and getting to know a few birds. Just visit a few times and see who you are connecting to is most important when you want to know witch bird you want. It sounds to me like you are well prepared and willing to learn to be the best parrot parent you can be. So just meet some birds!

My only con on lovebirds is that they tend to hate other birds of other species, and even sometimes other lovebirds.
I agree with this so much! So keep that in mind if you might want to be able/keep the option open to build a bird family in the future.

Please let us know what you will decide on... and we love pictures!

I don't know if you have seen this (it was posted yesterday), but as a new (and an old) bird parent, this is a great read:
Ten Reasons You Shouldn’t Get a Parrot - VIE Magazine

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
depends what you want in your bird. the two species have different "general" personalities. Cockatiels are more forgiving and like head scratches, I dont know very many who like full on cuddles though. Lovebirds are strong willed but I've experienced a more playful quality to them than cockatiels. Cockatiels are pretty mellow easy going brirds, imo less needy than a lovebird. Lovebirds are more hormonal and the females can be quite aggressive when they are in the mood. Male cockatiels can talk and whistle a tune, lovebirds may talk but not to be expected.

If you have allergies, just be aware that cockatiels are very dusty birds. When I bird sat, the cockatiel was way messier than the 2 lovebirds lol.

You haven't really told us what you are looking for in a bird so hard to give good specific input.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Bel :fairy2: ,

I would like to add, on top of all the other great comments, if biting/nipping puts you off a lovebird, then look specificly for a male lovebird. So much less likely to nip you.

Well if you post in the lovebird forum, we're all going to say lovebird! ;)
:lol: So true!! I literally laughed when I read this. And most of the comments were pro-lovebird :roflmao:

I vote, male peach faced lovebird.
But I also agree, meeting some adult birds could help you make a better decision :)

Good luck in whichever you choose :)

bellovesbirds

Real Name
Bel Hawkins
You haven't really told us what you are looking for in a bird so hard to give good specific input.[/QUOTE said:
You're right! Thank you for pointing this out, and thank you to everyone who's responded so far! I really appreciate all the advice, and you've all been so kind!

I'd say that what I'm looking for in a bird is a best friend. I want a bird that will love spending time with me and will be content doing some trick training or sitting with me and watching a movie. I also live with other people so a bird that will bond strongly to me (as I will be providing it most of its attention) but also won't be mean to other humans is important. Biting isn't really an issue for me, as in I won't mind biting but I fear that the people I live with might get bit and end up hating my bird.

And yes, I have talked to the people that I love with about getting a bird and they are all for it, and I've made sure that they know what all getting a bird entails.

I suffer from Depression, Anxiety, and PTSD so I'm getting a bird to bring some joy and a friend into my life to help me through the dark moments, and to help me enjoy the good ones a little bit more. But I also know that I can provide the best environment possible for my bird and that providing their care will give me incentive to care for myself. And that I would never allow my illnesses to get in the way of caring for my animals. I have had dogs, cats, rats, and all sorts of other pets in the past.

I want to clarify too that I know that birds are not particularly "cuddly" animals and bird cuddles to me are different than cuddles I'd get from a dog or cat. A "cuddly" bird to me loves head scratches and to sit on my shoulder or my hand and to just be with me.

Mess also isn't an issue for me at all, allergies aren't either.

Thank you all again for taking the time to reply to my question so thoughtfully! It's helped a lot!

Last edited:

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I could be very wrong. So anyone please feel free to correct me if i'm mistaken. But have you given any thought to getting a pair? If I'm reading your wishes/expectations you sound to me like you would take great care of a bonded couple. But that could be me.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Some birds are cuddly. Lovebirds form very strong bonds, that's why they're called lovebirds. And no matter what you choose, if you properly socialize your bird (and make sure the other humans you live with understand how to handle a bird) then I think the bird would just see them as part of their flock. Many birds tend to prefer one person from what I've heard, but that doesn't mean they hate all other people. My lovebird is so bonded to me that if I were to ever live with a partner I think she would hate the person because she's not been socialized. I'm her person.

Attachments

bellovesbirds

Real Name
Bel Hawkins
I have, and they are very interesting! The Lovebird one is what turned me on to getting a Lovebird! (They had always been an option for me, but that thread really peaked my interest.)

I could be very wrong. So anyone please feel free to correct me if i'm mistaken. But have you given any thought to getting a pair? If I'm reading your wishes/expectations you sound to me like you would take great care of a bonded couple. But that could be me.
I've been afraid to get a bonded couple because I've heard that having a bonded couple can lead to the birds not really bonding with you and can lead to them being more aggressive. I'm really looking for a companion bird. But, if that stuff isn't as much as an issue as I've assumed then I'd definitely be willing to look into a bonded pair!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
@bellovesbirds I think Loki is cuddly, for example last night. She was on my chest and I was responding to facebook messenger. She got impatient with me and proceeded to rub her face and body all over my face instead of waiting for pets... If you look at my post on my forums, most of them of her wanting pets lol. Don't get me wrong, she has her feisty side, she dislikes eletronics... probably because I'm holding them so she is jealous. She will give in and cuddle with other people if they are persistent enough.

Here is just a few of her just wanting to be pets.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Loki is just made of magic.