• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird or Cockatiel? What’s best for me?

Which bird sounds right for me?

• Total voters

sophsbirbs

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Ruiz
Hi everyone! Welcome to my first ever post!
I’m looking to get a bird! I have always loved them and I’m finally ready to get my own. Here is my list:

-In my senior year of high school, I’m only at school from 9am-12pm and I’m free for most of the weekends.

-I understand that all birds have different temperaments, but I’d really like a goofy but cuddly bird.

-I don’t care about noise, cage size, or mess. I’m willing to take care of anything the little guy or gal throws at me :)

Thank you for reading! Hopefully we can find a lil bird who is right for me!

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Welcome!

As usual it's my Debbie Downer spiel. Birds are seldom a good idea at your age because:

A bird needs attention. There goes any after school job. You can't hang and party with friends. Your spur of the moment life becomes a planned life.

Hopefully, you've been saving because a bird is expensive. Let's assume you've afforded the bird, the cage, the first needs, now come the pellets, seed, food, toys and vet bills.

Next comes college. Most colleges make you live on-campus your freshman year. Birds aren't allowed in dorms. PET FRIENDLY places may not mean BIRD FRIENDLY.

Most marriages happen by 24 years. What if your intended doesn't like birds? What if your bird doesn't like your intended?

...then the children. Most women give birth to their children before 30. The bird may not thrilled with the joyful event and bite the baby. The bird is already sharing you with your significant other, now you're asking it to happily share less time?

You'll need the right cookware and cleaning products and so will your family because birds are delicate and messy!

Okay, that's my Debbie Downer bit. If you still insist, get a gender (male) pair of cockatiels so they can live with less attention.

Last edited:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Hi Sophie.

@LSA's advice is golden. If I could go back in time, I'd be taking it for sure.

I got my red-bellied parrot, Zyda, when I was sixteen. I wouldn't trade her for the world, but I do wish I had waited until I was older. I thought I knew what I was in for, but boy was I wrong. :faint: It's been a rocky road for us both.

Even a little bird like a lovebird or cockatiel will change your life in a big way - we're talking about a commitment that may last upwards of 15 years, after all! So please try to be extra sure this is what you really want right now. :heart:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to AA Sophie :)

sophsbirbs

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Ruiz
Welcome!

As usual it's my Debbie Downer spiel. Birds are seldom a good idea at your age because:

A bird needs attention. There goes any after school job. You can't hang and party with friends. Your spur of the moment life becomes a planned life.

Hopefully, you've been saving because a bird is expensive. Let's assume you've afforded the bird, the cage, the first needs, now come the pellets, seed, food, toys and vet bills.

Next comes college. Most colleges make you live on-campus your freshman year. Birds aren't allowed in dorms. PET FRIENDLY places may not mean BIRD FRIENDLY.

Most marriages happen by 24 years. What if your intended doesn't like birds? What if your bird doesn't like your intended?

...then the children. Most women give birth to their children before 30. The bird may not thrilled with the joyful event and bite the baby. The bird is already sharing you with your significant other, now you're asking it to happily share less time?

You'll need the right cookware and cleaning products and so will your family because birds are delicate and messy!

Okay, that's my Debbie Downer bit. If you still insist, get a gender (male) pair of cockatiels so they can live with less attention.

So, I was diagnosed with cancer last year around this time. Chemo treatments caused me to be unable to have kids. I missed a year of high school so I can’t go to college on time and I’m going to a local college so I don’t have to live on campus. I’m constantly tired and I don’t go out with friends, my friend group usually does hang-outs at one of our houses. I can’t have a job because it would make me too tired. I just turned 18 and I saved all of my birthday money plus what I had been saving before plus Ive been selling some of my expensive clothes on Depop. I’ve already thought all of this stuff through and I’m much different than your average teenager. Having cancer and having to make mature decisions for myself at this age has taught me how to be very responsible. I’m home a lot because school tires me out too much and while all of my friends are at school I get lonely. Some weekends I’m way too tired to hang out with anyone so a bird would be a perfect companion to sit with and talk to and teach tricks to!

Let me know if you still have the same opinion ;)

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
I would have to say, given what you are looking for in a bird, a cockatiel would be a better option. Lovebirds don't do "sitting still". They are CONSTANTLY on the move. Just make sure you know:
All birds scream. Even a cockatiel can make your ears ring. You might be willing to deal with it, but is your family?
All birds bite. Tiels are considered one of the gentlest parrots, and they can still break skin.
All birds poop. EVERY 10 MINUTES. NONSTOP.
All birds fling food. You WILL be cleaning walls, floors, and the like DAILY no matter which species you choose.
All birds require expensive vet care, which can go up to over 10,000$. If you don't have this money yourself, your parents better be all the way on board and prepared to pay.
All birds chew. You will have destroyed baseboards, chewed desks, scratched walls. Birds are not for people concerned about their house looking spotless.
Also, I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking of presently.
All in all, birds are great companions, but absolutely terrible pets.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I'm sorry about your cancer. When my cousin had it as a teen and my mother as a senior, they turned a bit childish with their cancers but thought otherwise. Not to mention their needs for lotions because of the chemo.

I think that even more now. Who are you planning to adopt that bird when you die?

Are you talking community college? Didn't you say you were in high school? So you're gone more than 9- 12? When my mother had cancer, she didn't do chemo at home. That means in addition to high school and community college, you make regular medical trips and go to the doctor the next day?

Another twist. Transportation. If so much makes you "too tired," a loonng round trip to the Avian Vet will do you in.

I'm glad you've been saving but who is planning on paying for that bird when you run out of savings and clothes?

What about those cooking and cleaning products? (No more aerosols and lotions wasn't even mentioned originally.)
Who is going to clean up the mess and take care of the birds daily?

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I agree with @CrowCall so totally.

Wait... they don't poop at night if they can help it. They have a poop explosion outside the cage in the morning then poop every 10 minutes the rest of the day.

sophsbirbs

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Ruiz
I'm sorry about your cancer. When my cousin had it as a teen and my mother as a senior, they turned a bit childish with their cancers but thought otherwise. Not to mention their needs for lotions because of the chemo.

I think that even more now. Who are you planning to adopt that bird when you die?

Are you talking community college? Didn't you say you were in high school? So you're gone more than 9- 12? When my mother had cancer, she didn't do chemo at home. That means in addition to high school and community college, you make regular medical trips and go to the doctor the next day?

Another twist. Transportation. If so much makes you "too tired," a loonng round trip to the Avian Vet will do you in.

I'm glad you've been saving but who is planning on paying for that bird when you run out of savings and clothes?

What about those cooking and cleaning products? (No more aerosols and lotions wasn't even mentioned originally.)
Who is going to clean up the mess and take care of the birds daily?

I’m not dying, lol. I’m actually in remission now and Im recovering very well!
I don’t have any treatments anymore. My body doesn’t show any signs of disease. I’m in my senior year of high school meaning I graduate this June. I’m taking a year off of school and planning to go to a normal college that’s about 20 mins away the next year.
Driving doesn’t bother me and there is an avian vet pretty close by. I’m very good at driving long distances anyways.
I have a lot of savings in my bank account from previous birthdays and my old job. I also babysit my brother on occasion.
My other brother told me he’d help me take care of a bird whenever I needed him to, and in case there was ever an emergency I would teach him how and everything he’d need to know.
My mom is very into all of the natural cleaning supplies and I’m sure if there was anytning else that we’d need to get rid of, it wouldn’t be a problem :)

sophsbirbs

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Ruiz
I would have to say, given what you are looking for in a bird, a cockatiel would be a better option. Lovebirds don't do "sitting still". They are CONSTANTLY on the move. Just make sure you know:
All birds scream. Even a cockatiel can make your ears ring. You might be willing to deal with it, but is your family?
All birds bite. Tiels are considered one of the gentlest parrots, and they can still break skin.
All birds poop. EVERY 10 MINUTES. NONSTOP.
All birds fling food. You WILL be cleaning walls, floors, and the like DAILY no matter which species you choose.
All birds require expensive vet care, which can go up to over 10,000$. If you don't have this money yourself, your parents better be all the way on board and prepared to pay.
All birds chew. You will have destroyed baseboards, chewed desks, scratched walls. Birds are not for people concerned about their house looking spotless.
Also, I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking of presently.
All in all, birds are great companions, but absolutely terrible pets.
yes my family and I are very aware of all of this. Thanks for your suggestion.

sophsbirbs

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Ruiz
So, all but the kids part applies after all?
What do you mean by this? I’m confused.. please elaborate.
I do get tired if I push myself too hard but I know my limits.
My brother is 10, it’s not like a little kid who needs me to constantly be playing with him. He sits and watches TV and I make sure everything is okay and my mom pays me for it. Pretty good gig I’d say.
At the moment Im in school from 9am-12pm and next year I won’t have school at all. The year after that is when I’d go to college but I’d be sleeping and living at home.
Please be more specific as to what you think is true and what’s not.

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have any experience with either species but I just wanted to mention that cockatiels are dusty, and it might not be good to inhale it, especially if your immune system is compromised.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Look, we're not here to argue with you. We just want you to know what you're getting into. You're gonna do what you're gonna do no matter what. @CrowCall and I both suggested cockatiels If you recall.

Please know that all members on AA are here to help (We ALL need it!). This isn't a debate site. We just want you to be prepared. Birds aren't easy. That's not my first "Debbie Downer" spiel!

It's better to ask and and get honest answers. We all have those "If only..." moments. Especially me! MY first bird not my parent's was at 15. Now I'm "the crazy bird lady" around here. Funny thing is I don't have as many or the experience with birds as many members and must ask questions!

Again, welcome. May AA be your soft place to land and your forever home!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If the cockatiel dust doesn't bother you, I would suggest a cockatiel. They really are very laid back birds. Lovebirds, although completely adorable, are more of a big bird in a little bird body, complete with feistiness. :)

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
My children still complain about my lovebird YEARS later.

Cockatiels are so much more easier except the dust and don't seem as ready to draw blood!

Easily adaptable and more fun and cuddly are Pineapple Greencheek Conures. But be prepared to be owned. @Coldbreeze just got Zazu.

Max83

Walking the driveway
If you don't ind the dust and you are aware of all the other things other users mentioned I'd say take a cockatiel.
I have two of them and I'd never change those two little parrots for anything in this world. They are cuddly and funny to watch and love to sits on my shoulder around the house whistling in my hears when I am home.

Yes, they can be pretty loud, like every parrot, and messy, and they have a pretty big wing span so plan to take a big cage and dedicate a safe room to your parrot where he can hang around stretching the wings if you can. I took one at first but I bought another 4 months after because I didn't like to see him alone. THE BIGGER THE CAGE THE BETTER.

Adopting is a good thing but visit the bird many times before take him home because it's not always easy to tame and make friend with a bird with a bad past. And birds have their likes and dislikes about humans, find the one who likes you.

I took mine when they were babies and are affectionate like a dog, nothing less.

Good luck! :)

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I'd actually recommend you go with the lovebird, specifically a male - or two. They tend to be far less aggressive than the females and are often down for a good snuggle session.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Welcome to AA! I would also suggest a cockatiel. They are fairly quiet, usually not one person bird’s, fairly mellow, and are usually not very nippy.