• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

lovebird ok for me?

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
Hi guys,
i had a parrotlet before, and am now missing a bird in the house. i found that the parrotlet was very feisty, she sreemed and had angry fits a lot. she was a handraised bird.
i am now thinking about a lovebird. i am home most of the time (work form home and have a office day once a week) and the bird can be out a lot. i also have a small and playfull dog, i don't know how he will react around a bird, but that can be trained, of he can go to the other room with my husband when the bird is out.
i know it is said that parrotlets are less loud then lovebirds, but mine was screaming almost all day, puffed up feathers, running around in the cage. in a far past i have had lovebirds, but i can't remember if they made a lot of noise. they sure weren't this frustrated as the parrotlet i had,
offcourse birds make sounds, that is ok, but just not all day screaming :)

who ownes a single lovebird? how are they around dogs? how bad are they on their worst days? i am thinking about a loveird roseicollis

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi and welcome
I have three lovebirds they can be noisy when they start morning afternoon evening they weren’t noisy though when I had one or even two they got noisy when mango came but I think that’s because mango makes a very funny noise others didn’t make
they aren’t screamers though they will play forage in their cages which keeps them happy and entertained when out they are probably noisy at times especially if pico comes downstairs to do veg etc with him other two go mad flock calling him

when I just had pico who was handfed he was fine on his own if I wasn’t about he played happily in his cage loved attention and being out with me (still does) sometimes I kind of wish I had just stuck to him and had his cage downstairs but I think even though he’s not bothered by other two he likes having company to call to bath with etc but he would have definitely been fine/happy on his own with my attention

I love lovebirds think they are brilliant little birds full of energy and very curious very clever all of mine can do tricks and have good recall even indie how’s a hand off bird still lands on my arm and interacts with me mango and indie are just a bit more independent than pico who would happily be with me 24/7

as for dogs I wouldn’t let them mix at all they are bold little birds I know pico when downstairs would try fly down to my dogs on floor and I had to make sure dogs where in another room I wouldn’t want pico hurt and he wasn’t afraid at all that they were bigger

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
If you read the good the bad and ugly about lovebirds good place to start

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
i am thinking about a loveird roseicollis
I think that would be a good choice :) A boy if you can.

My first bird was my male Roseicollis, and he was very quiet, odd chirps here and there, but playful, social, never bit ever. Even now I have more birds, he´s still like that, the others are noisier. But I had him as a lone bird for a long time before I brought home a friend for him.
I had a low energy Chow, the bird was not scared of him at all, never had any issues, though each dog species and personality will affect that question, so when you´re unsure, keep them separated. I never left my birds and dog unattended ever.

I think a lovebird is a fantastic companion, just remember if you´re only getting one, that you spend an awful lot of time with them so they don´t get lonely.
Eye-ring species lovebirds are generally noisier and nippier.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:smileflower: Welcome!