• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird not taking to new foods

Bella

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I recently got my first bird two weeks ago (a lovebird of about 8 weeks old) and he used to seem pretty happy. That was until two days ago when we had to switch him from his old seed mix onto new ones because the old seed mix the breeder had left him was starting to run out. He didn’t take to any of the new mixes or pellets we tried (zumpreme sensible lovebird seed mix, tropican pellets and all living thing premium pellets) and has started to only spend his time in or out of his cage looking for either millet or his old mix in a really frantic way and stepping up only to receive millet (and then stepping down to step up again). He also pushes all the new seeds to the side of his bowl and doesn’t even eat them out of my hand anymore. If i knew what his old mix was id of course try to find it for him but unfortunately the breeder didn’t tell us the name of his mix and I don’t have a picture of what it looked like. Any suggestions to help take to the new foods? Im beging to worry he’s going to starve. Also is constantly looking around for food normal or does it mean he’s not eating enough?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi Bella,
If you remember what the mix looked like, try to recreate it. Alt. call the breeder and ask what they use, likely they make their own mix so maybe they will sell you some so you can wean your bird on to a new food. Remember this is a baby bird, they should be weaned from one food to the next just like when they weaned from formula to seed. For now, if he will eat the millet, give him that so he is eating something. Leave whatever seed mix you currently have in a bowl, just in case he explores it. Keep trying to offer new seeds from your hand, especially after he finishes eating millet.

Bella

Checking out the neighborhood
[/QUOTE]
Hey thank you very much! You were right the breeder made their own mix which is why I couldn’t find it so I’m going to try and recreate it.
Hi Bella,
If you remember what the mix looked like, try to recreate it. Alt. call the breeder and ask what they use, likely they make their own mix so maybe they will sell you some so you can wean your bird on to a new food. Remember this is a baby bird, they should be weaned from one food to the next just like when they weaned from formula to seed. For now, if he will eat the millet, give him that so he is eating something. Leave whatever seed mix you currently have in a bowl, just in case he explores it. Keep trying to offer new seeds from your hand, especially after he finishes eating millet.
Hey thank you very much! You were right the breeder made their own mix which is why I couldn’t find it so I’m going to try and recreate it.