• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird not eating enough?

nessielove

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jaeda
I am a bit concerned about my lovebirds eating habits. She is currently on pellets and chop and gets millet everyday as a training treat. However, she only eats around 1/2 tablespoon of pellets. From what I’ve heard most people give their lovebirds 1-2 tablespoons a day.
However, she’s been eating like this since I got her a couple months ago and doesn’t display any signs of illness. But I know if I let her eat seeds all day she definitely would haha!
I also weigh her regularly and she’s around 45-50 grams(the scale i’m using is not digital so I can’t get an incredibly accurate number). Should I be worried?

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
Is she offered any seed at all during the day? I know seed is controversial but I'll alternate that with the healthy stuff (pellets, fresh foods) through the day so I don't have to worry about my two not eating enough! Interested to hear what others have to say :)

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
I sprout seeds for kiwi and give one tablespoon each of seeds and sprouts daily. He has fresh vegies as well as millet in the cage at all times. He just goes around to whichever bowl strikes his fancy and so far so good. He also has a smaller bowl that has canary grass and pellets at all times. Hope that helps :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How much chop does she eat? My 54g green cheek would only eat 1 to 2 tbsp of pellets if she didn't get chop that day

Consider that most birds eat 10 to 15% of their body weight a day .. that's only about 5 grams of food for her size :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
45 is pretty light for a Roseicollis, unless she is 1 year old or younger.

I do give my lovies seeds, I believe they are an important part of their diet, though I am not a professional nutritionalist.

You could offer a teaspoon of seeds before bedtime. I have a mix that is heavier on the canary grass seeds, and extremely low on sunflower seeds (like they are lucky if they get one).
Alternatively, sprout some seeds.

Pris

Meeting neighbors
45 is pretty light for a Roseicollis, unless she is 1 year old or younger.

I do give my lovies seeds, I believe they are an important part of their diet, though I am not a professional nutritionalist.

You could offer a teaspoon of seeds before bedtime. I have a mix that is heavier on the canary grass seeds, and extremely low on sunflower seeds (like they are lucky if they get one).
Alternatively, sprout some seeds.
Is there a thread on how to sprout seeds? Rainbow doesnt eat the larger pellets that I got for him initially. It seems as though he hasnt figured out that he has the beak strength to crack things (although hes getting braver at nibbling my fingers a little harder now -_-)

I got him the super fine Harrison's pellets. They came in the mail today and it seems like hes eating them. I am intrigued by sprouting seeds but idk how to get started.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is there a thread on how to sprout seeds? Rainbow doesnt eat the larger pellets that I got for him initially. It seems as though he hasnt figured out that he has the beak strength to crack things (although hes getting braver at nibbling my fingers a little harder now -_-)

I got him the super fine Harrison's pellets. They came in the mail today and it seems like hes eating them. I am intrigued by sprouting seeds but idk how to get started.