• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird nesting and hormonal problem!

sala

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone! :)

I have a 1 year & 4-month-old Fischer female lovebird.
For weeks she was obsessed with me, she kisses me, preens me and asks for head scratches. Then she starts rubbing her butt on me, spreading her wings then bites me if I ignored her -_-
Now she's obsessed with my mom, she does all the above with her and rarely comes to me.. only if she needs something.
Also, she has been acting crazy shredding and flying with her veggies and leaves to hidden spots in the house to find a nest.

Is there any way I can stop her from nesting or prevent this hormonal behavior? I keep closing her nesting spots but she is becoming more aggressive and it's really making me feel sad.

325243880_851447909298303_4591654326991982584_n.jpg 325398948_912204249775051_642564330903685962_n.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Then she starts rubbing her butt on me, spreading her wings then bites me if I ignored her
Now she's obsessed with my mom
Be sure when she´s doing this, you guys are removing her from your person. Put her down on the nearest bird safe surface.

Also, she has been acting crazy shredding and flying with her veggies and leaves to hidden spots in the house to find a nest.
Try your best to block any small spaces, nooks and other corners that she could perceive as a nest. You can use towels and boxes to help you do this.

Is there any way I can stop her from nesting or prevent this hormonal behavior?
You can try rearranging her cage, though if she is out of it most of the day it might not help. Worth a try still. Move all perches, toys, food bowls etc in the cage around and create a new layout. Rotate the cage or move it´s location in the room if possible. Remove shreddable toys, and opt for crumbly type toys instead, for eg, remove popsicle sticks, paper, crinkle paper, cardboard, and opt for sola, cork, mahogany pods. Increase foraging opportunities. Check that she is getting 14 hours undisturbed sleep, covered so it is dark not dim. (You can revert back to 12 hours sleep once the hormones subside).
Ultimately there will be a time when you can´t control or stop the egg laying, but until then, worth trying all the different tips to see. If she lays any eggs, leave then on the cage floor for up to 21 days or until she abandons them.

sala

Meeting neighbors
Thank you @Zara for the tips!! I re-arranged her cage and I will get more toys today.

If she lays any eggs, leave then on the cage floor for up to 21 days or until she abandons them.
Why can't I take the eggs immediately if she laid?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you @Zara for the tips!! I re-arranged her cage and I will get more toys today.

If you take them immediately she will lay more to replace them- you can take them while she is out of the cage having some exercise and boil them then let them cool and return them to her or you can buy dummy eggs to switch them out with.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
you can take them while she is out of the cage having some exercise and boil them then let them cool and return them to her or you can buy dummy eggs to switch them out with.
Only need to do these things with pairs of birds. I think OPs bird is a lone female, so the eggs can just be left. Some do swap for dummy eggs to save them getting damaged and the hen relaying them.

As Shez said, hens are likely to lay to replace lost eggs. You will have to observe to see how your hen reacts to an egg. If she sits and broods, that ok, if not and the clutch is complete (no new eggs in over 48 hours) and she´s not sitting on them, you can remove them. Just be sure they are abandoned before removing. If you bird broods then abandons, you can tell because the eggs are spread out, like they´ve been tossed from the site.