• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

lovebird mutation id help please?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes your bird is Pied and possibly dark factors.

I don´t know if your bird is male or female.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
As @Zara said your bird is pied. He/she definitely has at least one dark factor and also one of the par-blue mutations, however I am not sure which one from these pictures. Also, with this species other than DNA or surgical sexing, if the bird lays an egg, or fertilizes another bird's egg, or sex-linked mutations are involved, there is no way to tell.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
@Zara-- have you ever noticed.. if you look at ur LBs beaks straight on, that there is a diff between the sexes? Females are rounder from side-2-side, and males have the front edge more pointy from side-2-side. Have wanted to ask you this for a long time.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Females are rounder from side-2-side, and males have the front edge more pointy from side-2-side.
Sorry, Can´t say I´ve noticed that. They look the same...

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Sorry, Can´t say I´ve noticed that. They look the same...
@Zara-- try that sometime-- hold them up close to you and look at beak directly on.. right in the middle, check the angle.. I assisted a vet [my request] while he did a few surgical sexings on LBs... I was right every time. [definately NOT blowing my horn, and if I had breeding intentions, then would not rely on that visual].
Also, pls look for this: when sitting quietly, I've found the males to have their feet closer together than females [more spread]. Not when males are excited and standing up chirping, but when sitting quietly.