• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video lovebird making weird sounds? (help)

saccharose

Moving in
Real Name
gabriel
hi!! i’m currently looking after a lovebird (which belongs to my mom’s friend). the owner had no one else to look after it and gave it to us to look after for a little over a month. though frankly, we have no experiences with birds at all and i am desperate for help :(

we have a male rosy faced lovebird and he’s probably the sweetest thing ever, but just today he started doing this? (link to footage of him doing the weird thing)

prior to this he was just aggressively humping his favorite toy. in fact he’s been VERY humpy lately. and then i’d see him perched up on the little mirror on the side of the cage and he’d vibrate, and do this weird squeaky beepy sound with his beek and he kept moving around on it. After recording the video he just went back to humping his toy. i dont have any other info except for the fact that i think he’s 6 years old?

haha please help a clueless person with a cute lovie ;_; i want to make sure he’s okay while we look after him

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
My bird does that when he gets sexually overstimulated. I see a mirror in the cage. Mirrors can make birds hormonal and make them have mating behaviors. I would remove it immediately. And maybe tell your mom's friend to also keep any mirrors out of the cage, just because they can make birds super duper hormonal, and it's not worth the trouble. Since birds cannot tell the difference between reflections and other birds they think it is a potential mate. Please remove the mirror and maybe replace it with a foraging toy instead.

saccharose

Moving in
Real Name
gabriel
My bird does that when he gets sexually overstimulated. I see a mirror in the cage. Mirrors can make birds hormonal and make them have mating behaviors. I would remove it immediately. And maybe tell your mom's friend to also keep any mirrors out of the cage, just because they can make birds super duper hormonal, and it's not worth the trouble. Since birds cannot tell the difference between reflections and other birds they think it is a potential mate. Please remove the mirror and maybe replace it with a foraging toy instead.
Man I figured that was why… I’ll be sure to take it out when I have the bird out to play ^.^

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
It's nice to see you are being very caring for someone else's beloved pet:xflove:

Last edited: